Jobo unit conundrum

<p>I'm determined to have some kind of home processing for my recently acquired 4x5 kit. So that means a Jobo unit of some kind. The ATL units don't take the expert drums (except for the ATL-2 *maybe*, I'm having some trouble finding info on it even on Jobo's site), that may not be an issue since there are 4x5 reels and drums for these machines.</p>

<p>Of course since there's the discontinued-ness of these machines parts and service are going to be issues.</p>

<p>CPP-2 (not an automated machine which isn't that big of a deal - I think. I'd have to have the lift acc. though)<br>

ATL-2 (doesn't heat or cool water, has to be attached to plumbing somehow. for now hard to find info on this unit)<br>

ATL-1000 (seems to do it all except expert drums)<br>

ATL-1500 (more or less the same I guess)</p>

<p>It seems like a diy jobo replacement solution is possible. I wonder if there's enough interest to engineer a solution.</p>

<p>What to do...</p>

<p>if you want to to colour(e6/c41) than my suggestion is as follows<br>

cpp2 - don't a lot of hassle and not worth the money<br>

atl2+ or atl3 or 2xxx and 3xxx series - huge beast that does it all, expertdrums and normal 25xx series, fully automated, except the cooling of water, programable machine(times of every step of the process)<br>

atl 1000/1500 - more or less the same except the 1500 is programmable as the biger atls doesn't take the expertdrums </p>

<p>all the ATLs can heat their water for temperature control of the water bath and the chemistrybottles. for all ATLs you need a tempered wateroutlet or a tempered watercontainer with a pump and a heater plus a sensor that monitors the temperature. the pump should have an outlet to attache to the ATLs.</p>

<p>it depends largely where you live and how much you would shoot with your 4x5" gear. of course the repairs can be a pain in the a** but you can stil get some spareparts. but egineering a woud be awesome and maybe some folks woud buy it but oy if it wouldn't cost more than 2000$ and would have to use te jobo drumsystem as it is commonly available on the internet.<br>

so here is my suggestion:<br>

if you process some or a bit more 4x5" you caan savely go for the atl1000 if you don't bother using the preprogrammed settings. if you need different selfprogrammable settings go for a 1500<br>

if you do a lot of 4x5" say 30 sheets than a bigger AT as a 2+ or 3 or a 2xxx or 3xxx series wold be best. as they have all and can do all except water cooling as this will be done by itself.<br>

I for one had very good experience with the 25xx series drums and the 4x5" work I did.<br>

it's your choice.</p>

<p>The ATL-1000 or 1500 are the best of the Jobos, but be prepared to overpay for them.Even then you are stuck with an orphaned product, no service/parts available (or hard to come by if so), etc.<br>

A thoroughly better choice is the Photo-therm Super Sidekick SSK4 or SSK8. Better than the Jobos, more reasonably priced used, made in the USA (!), still in business, has a nice 4x5 solution, etc. It doesn't do prints but it does everything you could ever want with film and then some.</p>

<p>-Ed</p>

<p>I love love love love love love love my ATL-1500, and for 4x5 I haven't had a problem not using the crazy expensive expert drums - which are definitely needed for 8x10, and would help on color 4x5, but I only do b/w. Parts are available, but yeah, Ed Sawyer is right, you'll pay for them, and the ATL.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Or, if you want a machine just for film (not prints), and if the largest you want to process is 4x5 then Phototherm is a much better unit than Jobo.</p>

<p>Oops, I just noticed that Ed said more or less the same thing, so I will just second his comment and add one or two more.</p>

<p>The older models (FP-1 and Sidekick) will do most of what the current Super Sidekick models will do, and sometimes you can find a used Sidekick for a much better price than a Super Sidekick. However, if you can get a good price on a Super Sidekick go for it. It is a newer and slightly more versatile machine.</p>

<p>Prices for Phototherms on ebay vary tremendously. I have seen them go for as low as $75 plus shipping for one in unknown condition (I know because I bought that one, and it worked) to well over $1000.</p>

<p>One quirk about Phototherms is that the black and white programs are usually programmed for 75 degrees F. For a fee you can get the machine re-chipped to change the processing temperature if you want, but because of the way the instruments are designed the processing temperature must be at or above the ambient room temperature. In other words, you aren't going to be processing at 68 degrees unless you keep your room at or below 68 degrees.</p>

<p>Other processes (E6, C41) run at greater than room temperature anyway, so that little quirk is irrelevant for those processes, or in other words, the room temperature is not an issue.</p>

<p>@Peter: Yeah, I've looked at a basic Unicolor drum-turner machine but of course the question of temp control comes up.<br>

See, this is why you should ask questions! I've never even heard of Photo-Therm! The price of a new machine is out of the question, but a saved search on eBay might turn up something some day. As for an engineered solution, consider this guy on youtube:</p>

<p>

<p>He might be on to something. Thanks for the responses so far.</p>