Vari ND filter

owen_dawson

I was out shooting this morning with a d700 70-200 vr, 1.4converter and vari nd filter.

I noticed that when i was looking through the view finder it would read 13" exposure which is what I wanted but the screen on the top

and back of camera both would indicate at 2.5 sec exposure. The image shot at 2.5".and gave me an under exposed image. On

manual it seemed to work fine with exposure readings from all 3 locations reading correctly. When I took the filter off things worked

fine. Seems a but odd as I've never noticed this before. Any thoughts would be welcome. Owen

<p>This could be an example of stray light coming through the viewfinder when you move your face away and affecting the metering. With the ND filter in place, the light coming in through the viewfinder would be proportionally greater than without the filter and would have a relatively greater effect on metering. The cure would be to block the viewfinder with the device provided with the camera (built-in on some models, a separate plastic cap on others) or with your hat or something. Or of course you could always set the exposure manually.</p>

<p>experiment: cover the viewfinder and see if the outside readings change. personally, when I use my vario-ND, I always use manual metering. I think it is because the linear polarizer part of the filter affects the meter reading. Hate the thing anyway since I can't use it on wide lenses.</p>

<p>The D700 has an eyepiece blind for that very reason. Just flip the little lever beside the viewfinder and you'll find the two readings will match more closely. (Although not exactly, because some light will still creep around your eye when you're looking through the eyepiece.)</p>