Egypt... What would YOU do?

rnt

<p>I was reading that the Egyptian authorities were confiscating cameras, both from news photographers and guests at a hotel near the protests (according to one news article they went room to room).</p>

<p>So I wanted to ask what YOU would do if you found yourself in a situation like that- would you hide your D3 and hand over a point-n-shoot? Hand everything over (because it's insured, right?) or do something else?</p>

<p>We always run over scenarios in our minds- if someone tries to mug us we would twirl around like Jackie Chan and let 'em have it with our monopod (and we always carry a monopod for that very reason, right?). Unfortunately real life is a little more -er- real than most of our imaginations and the smart things to do in life are seldom the things we would like to imagine ourselves doing. You can only hope the mugger gives you a chance to hand over your equipment before hitting you with a brick or worse.</p>

<p>So, Egypt... You're there and they want your junk. What do you do?</p>

<p>In such a situation, do exactly what the "authorities" (or anyone else who is armed) ask you to do. Be polite and non-confrontational.<br>

However exciting it might be, this may be a good time to emulate the journalists who were in Iraq when we attacked the first time-- namely stay in the hotel.</p>

<p>I recall Wolf Blitzer under a table in Tel Aviv or some such when the "missile defense" rockets were shooting down, they said, the Iraqi missiles-- that may be farther than you need to go.</p>

I'd probably hand over the camera. It's easy to talk about how brave and clever you'd be in such a situation when you're sitting comfortably at home behind your computer. From experience, I can report that being surrounded, in a foreign country, by armed authorities who are interested in your photos is rather unnerving, even if they're being polite. I can always replace the camera and take more photos.

<p>I think that the question related to our cameras and photos are so infinitively less important than what presently happens in the streets of the cities of Egypt, Tunis, Yemen, Jordan and Algeria. If you are there take a pen and note it down - if you have lost your camera.</p>

<p>If I can anticipate their requests... I'd hide my CF cards... As I grew up in a communist system I know that in dictature the worst thing is to show you are afraid... I would not be violent nor opposing by force but I will strongly require from them a document listing the gear that is confiscated and I will mention that their action is against international procedure and law...<br>

Be sure that even there are serious turbulence they do not look for big international troubles and they will respect the westerners that demand to be respected. I visited Egypt and I know that their major income is from tourism... and they know very well what is their long-term interest. This is at least my input from distance... but being there I could feel differently.</p>

<p>if you're there as a tourist or just by happenstance, you do what you're told. it's not your fight, and losing your life or freedom over a piece of property is just silly.<br>

if you are there because it's your job or you're part of the action on some level, you've already taken a calculated risk and presumably you know what you're doing. in that case, you should already know how far you're willing to go and what you're willing to sacrifice.</p>

<p>I studied in Cairo for a while (6 weeks) as part of my MSc. and I've been on the wrong end of a couple of 'lively discussions' with the authorities there.</p>

<p>I would say, you hand everything over, in this hypothetical situation, the likelihood is that the other chap(s) will be speaking in arabic only, will be armed, and not interested in any form of discussion. In normal situations, the expectation would be that for a 'fine' for some loosely defined act on you behalf you would get to keep the camera gear.</p>

<p>In this unique situation, they seem only interested in limiting the media coverage.</p>

<p>I'm looking on with ever increasing concern. Egypt and Cairo hold a place in my heart after my 6 weeks there. It is like no other place I've been to. The first 2-3 weeks were hard, but the last 3-4 weeks were wonderful - it is one of those places that needs rewards effort (picking up arabic phrases and mixing with the locals). I was there in 1994 before the resurgence of Islamic fundamentalism, but after a number of incidents in which tourists were killed.</p>

<p>I can only hope that the Egyptians can resolve their issues and pull through this period of unrest in relative peace.</p>

<p> It's very hypothetical for sure as I would not buy a D3 or go to Egypt. However I would give them my gear and go home. As for muggers and stuff, carrying around a D3 would certainly increase your risk. I was in Berkely yesterday and my daughter and I parked in a lot that had a huge amount of broken glass. I told her that was probably from a broken window and I said I am going to take my camera bag because the guy would break two of my windows. My daughter asked why two windows, and I told her one window to get my camera and the second window because he would be angry it's a film rig.</p>

<p>In a potential life and death situation, the value of the hardware is essentially zero. The kind of landscape images that I would probably be shooting would also be essentially worthless. If I were a photojournalist and had taken images that might save lives or could possibly turn the course of events for the better, then they are worth some effort and risk to save.</p>

<p>Of course I'm dreaming. I've met some top flight photojournalists who take risks and dive into the world's hot spots. I admire their work, but I know I'm not one of them. </p>

<p>Bribe them. I have been to Egypt with lots of camera gear. I know they would listen to reason and a bribe, even if we had negotiate batteries and cards to disable the gears ability to record.</p>

<p>If I was there on in a journalistic capacity, I'd give them the camera and hope to walk away.</p>

<p>My view is that the authorities will take the view that any foreigner has a camera and if you hand over your P&S there would be little reason for them to search your room for another (bigger) camera. However, you have no idea who has told the authorities what: "Oh yes, Captain. That gentleman in room 301 has a very expensive camera. Looks like a professional to me..."</p>

<p>Overall I strongly agree with Mart. The first presumption would be to hand it over.<br>

And by the way, any confiscation would probably fall under the exclusion cause of 'civil unrest' so your insurance company would probably contest the payout.</p>

<p>I wonder if a little knowledge or Arabic and general politeness in conjunction with affability might cast more of an impression on the part of the aggressor. There is this notion in the west that the Arab is a hotheaded man with his emphatic vowels and a tendency to be unreasonable. They are unlikely to kill a white tourist.<br>

Keep away from protest zones. Be polite and remain calm. Unless one is a photo journalist keep away from their politics.</p>

<p>Demonstrations usually take place in one small area (a handful of blocks). The rest of the city could be quiet and peaceful. If you avoid the hotspots and keep a low profile and a respectful demeanor, you may never be approached by the authorities. If accosted, cooperate, apologize profusely, and 'play dumb.'</p>

<p>Another thought. Keep the camera in your bag, pull it out and shoot quickly, then put it right back in the bag. Avoid drawing attention to yourself and your gear.</p>

<p>This 'hypothetical situation' goes beyond the usual protests, it is more of a movement against the incumbant Mubarak, it is not just city wide in Cairo, but has spread way beyond and covers most of urban Egypt.</p>

<p>The ones most likely to seize your camera in this situation are the govenment / police (possibly army - although their allegiance seems to be wavering). They are keen to limit media coverage, and with more than a hundred confirmed dead their impetus is purely on self preservation. In that sort of situation, when the usual 'rules' are thrown out the window, I would go along with any request at all from the authorities.</p>

<p>The protesters on the other hand, are likely to welcome coverage, it strengthens their hand (particularly if you are able to get pictures and film out of Egypt - given the heavy restrictions that have been imposed on the internet / mobile networks - although again that seems to be lessening). Of course, looters and others involved in illegal activities are another matter.</p>

<p>If the government falls and anarchy prevails, I'm not sure worrying about my camera would be high on my list if I were there.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If the government falls and anarchy prevails, I'm not sure worrying about my camera would be high on my list if I were there."</p>

<p>Mart, Well said. <br>

Tehran, Iran, 32 years ago, lost everything I had. Took me three weeks to secure a flight out, but I'm safe and alive. <br>

I will forever hold dear, the professional and caring treatment I experienced from all the staff at Lufthansa Airlines.</p>

<p>Among my lost possessions, my beloved AE-1 kit. All of this happened one month before Khomeini hit town, nine months before the storming of the U.S. Embassy.</p>

<p>When the bulk of the military, the NCO's, side with the rebels, the military staff generals, and the seated government, don't stand a snowball's chance. <br>

Could be that same scenario is going to play-out in Egypt.</p>

<p>Save yourself. Material things can be replaced. Which begs the question:<br>

What camera should I buy to replace a 35 year old gem that was the AE-1? (grin)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In my case, I would never even argue, nor try to be cagey. That is what insurance is for. Same if a mugger confronts one with a gun, not to mention an assault rifle. Notice that folks there are getting around official internet embargo by other means. Information flow can't be stopped, useless to try.<br>

But naturally you slip out the media card and swallow it:-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What camera should I buy to replace a 35 year old gem that was the AE-1? (grin)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Surely you jest? I know, your name isn't Shirley, but you still have three choices that stand out:</p>

<ol>

<li>Canon AE-1</li>

<li>Canon AE-1 Program</li>

<li>Canon A-1.</li>

</ol>

<p>However, you owe it to yourself to at least look at a Canon T-90. :)<br /> The good news is that the AE-1 and the AE-1P are very inexpensive these days and the lenses not a whole lot more expensive. A-1 and the T-90 are a little more costly, but still cheap compared to new SLRs.</p>

<p>My experience with shipping from war-torn areas is that you'd be unlikely to succeed in finding anyone who would take your shipment.</p>