The Mighty Minolta XK

capitalq

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>As a long time admirer of the XM/XK, I have occasionally wondered why it never made a bigger splash. Obviously, the lack of a motor drive was a problem, but I wonder if the bigger problem was that it was <em>too</em> advanced for its time. Much has been made if the resistance that pro photographers showed towards the electronic F3 when it was introduced in 1980. I can only imagine what they were thinking about an electronic, battery-dependent camera back in 1973, when the state of the art in pro SLRs were the all-mechanical F-1 and F2.<br>

On the subject of the small toggle switch that adjusts the exposure up or down by 1 stop, remember that the OM-4 has a similar facility, with it's +/- 1.5 stop "hi-light" and "shadow" buttons.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have a non-motor XK with an AE-S finder. This finder has a 3 position meter switch. Completely off (senswitch doesn't work), senswitch enabled and on (without the need to use the senswitch). <br>

I own also own 2 Nikon F2s (one with as DP-1 finder and one with a DP-11 finder), a Nikon FM, a Minolta SRT 202, 1 Kodak Retina Reflex, 2 Kodak Retina Reflex S and a Kodak Retinette. My favorite of the bunch is the XK. Go figure. That little bit of automation (exposure priority auto) is just enough to tip the balance operationally and it really is a little lighter and smaller than the F2, particularly with the smaller (lower profile) AE-S finder.<br>

I disagree with the commentator that claimed a distinct superiority of the Nikkor lenses. I own both Nikkor AI and newer AF lenses, as well as Rokkor MC lenses and I would say that they are of equal quality and I believe that for color photography the "achromatic" coating of the Rokkor lenses of the period was superior than that of the Nikkor lenses of the period. The Rokkor-PF MC 135mm 1:2.8 I use most of the time is as sharp (or sharper) as my similar Nikkor lense.</p>

<p>Capital Q, thank you for the article+the excellent photos. I've just picked up one of these nonmotor XK's w/AES Finder and am already liking it even though the one I have has the mirror stuck in the up position (already tried new batteries+the battery compartment switch trick). Presuming I can get it going I'll be doing something I haven't done in years--shoot film. I can't wait :)<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>If you have the XK finder set to "X" (mechanical shutter mode) and you have turned the battery cover to the open position and back you may want to try manually (with light pressure) flipping the mirror down. The mirror may be stuck to the light curtain i.e. the last owner may have let the battery run down, did not care or did not know how to release the mirror and the mirror may have been stuck up against the light curtain for decades and has fused. BTW the curtain can be a fixed curtain (early XKs) or a floating curtain (later XKs), so don't be anxious if the curtain appears "loose". It's supposed to be that way on later XKs. If the mirror releases this way, I would clean the edge of the mirror that contacts the curtain with alcohol and let it dry completely. After it has dried try the camera out in "X" mode to see if it shoots and if the mirror works correctly. If it works correctly in 'X" mode then set it to Auto (with absolutely brand new batteries as the battery check light will light up even if the batteries are too low for auto operation). If it works, you are in luck, if not I am afraid that repair of these cameras is possible, but somewhat problematic.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>That is one beautiful camera you have there. I also hope to own a copy someday. The XM is just one of the Camera bodies that accepts the SR/MC/MD lenses, that I hope to own and use. It's at the top 5 of my list tho, with the others being, XK Motor, the x600, Pheonix P-5000 (or the Seagull DF-5000, same thing) and then any of the other Chinese clones that have a top shutter speed of 1/2000. If i want a film camera that accepts my MD lenses at that fast shutter speed I would most likely be able to afford one of these clones before i I can an XK. Trouble is finding one for sale tho ..lol<br>

But the XM is certainly the best SR bayonet mount bodies in my opinion, all tho many say the X700 or XD11 was the best. But i can say from using several x700's for years that i don't particularly care for it that much. I like my x370 more., and my x9 the best (when it was working).<br>

Well keep on clicking that beast away and hope to see more of your photos from it somday soon.</p>