Fridge Temperature

<p>Hi currently store my film in a drawer. However having recently bought a lot more film than i am going to immediately shoot, I am considering fridge storage. Is there a temperature that the fridge must be at. Is there any potential damage from fridge storage ? Also freezer storage, is it not likely the film will get wet after freezer storage</p>

<p>Suggest to keep it in the wrapper while in storage and when you remove from the freezer give it time to warm up to room temp. before opening the wrapper.</p>

<p>Another thought, to help, for me I keep my film in a cabinet in the office of my studio and I'm still using B&W film that expired in 2002.</p>

<p>The higher the ISO the more cosmic rays the film will pick up over time producing fog. Here is some info. you can type into search with Google:<br /> cosmic rays and film degradation</p>

<p>Or here:<br>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray</p>

<p>Hope this helps you.</p>

<p>In all photographic film there are chemical reactions that degrade the film over time. These chemical reactions slow down as the temperature is reduced. There is no single temperature recommendation. The colder the better. At -18 C (0 F) the degradation is so slow that it is hard to measure. </p>

<p>With any cold storage, keep the film in it's original packaging. As William says, let it warm up before you open it. That will prevent condensation. </p>

<p>In my personal experience, Kodachrome 64 was very well preserved in the freezer for 25 years. With similar storage, Kodak Instant Print film produced images, but had significant degradation. The emulsion grains in that product are larger and more susceptible to cosmic rays. </p>

<p>In a 1965 edition of <em>Kodak Color Films</em> (Color Data Book E-77) Kodak said that</p>

<ul>

<li>unexposed film was more resistant to change than exposed, but not developed, film. </li>

<li>high relative humidity was worse than high heat alone</li>

<li>that in the original packaging, protection against humidity was generally not needed</li>

<li>when films must be kept for several months, store them in the lower part of a refrigerator at less than 55º F</li>

<li>storage at more than 70º F for more than 4 <em>weeks</em> can lead to perceptible changes</li>

<li>when critical use is intended store at 0º to -10ºF in a freezing unit.</li>

<li>with the usual caution about letting the film reach room temperature before opening the packaging.</li>

</ul>

<p>My personal experience suggests that many B&W films, especially Tri-X, seem indestructible. I have used Tri-X film stored at room temperature for more than 15 years and it has been pretty decent with not much visible fogging or other problems, exposed even at its rated EI and developed according to the usual instructions in D-76.</p>

<p>I always store mine in my refrigerator, which is around 40 degrees F. It has always worked for me. I well remember Kodak saying 55 degrees is optimal. I'm still not certain that deep freezing is the way to go. I am very careful about ordering stock in a way that prevents film from expiring. </p>

<p>For Portra film, Kodak recommend a few hours for warming up from being refrigerated/stored at -18C, frozen to you and me. :)<br>

From http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e4040/e4040.pdf</p>

<p>STORAGE AND HANDLING<br />Store unexposed film at 21° C (70° F) or lower in the<br />original sealed package. For extended periods, store film at<br />13°C (55° F) to preserve consistency.<br />To avoid moisture condensation on film that has been<br />refrigerated, allow the film to warm up to room<br />temperature before opening the package. Typical warm-up<br />times are given in the table below.</p>

<p>Warm-Up Times (Hours) to Reach Room<br />Temperature of 21° C (70° F) From a Storage<br />Temperature of: -18° C (0° F) _ 2° C (35° F) _ 13° C (55° F)<br />120/220 _______ 1 ___________3⁄4 ________ 1⁄2<br />135 magazine ___ 1 ⁄2 _________ 1 ⁄4 __________1<br />35 mm long roll __ 5 __________3 ___________ 2<br />70 mm long roll _ 10 __________ 5 ___________ 3<br />10-sheet box __ 1 ⁄2 ___________ 1 ___________ 1<br />50-sheet box ___ 3 ___________ 2 ___________ 2</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In my personal experience, Kodachrome 64 was very well preserved in the freezer for 25 years</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p> I well remember Kodak saying 55 degrees is optimal. I'm still not certain that deep freezing is the way to go.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have heard that Kodachrome should not be frozen (not that it matters any more).</p>