Noblex 150/750 Manual

bob_watkins1

<p>We get a lot of inquiries about the Noblex manual and common issues regarding their function and problems.</p>

<p>We finally got our hands on the original manual and have posted it for viewing/download at:<br>

http://precisioncameraworks.com/Media/Noblex_150-175_Manual.pdf</p>

<p>There is also an article about common issues and their repair at:<br>

http://precisioncameraworks.com/Media/NoblexInfo.pdf</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thanks Bob. Nice to know about what you do, and it is gracious of you to make the manual available. I have always been interested in these cameras, and I really do love to read manuals.</p>

<p>Oh, one question if I may: I've also been interested in Widelux' as well. Do you personally have a preference for one or the other?</p>

<p>Thanks for the question, Michael.<br>

Widelux and the Noblex cameras were both available in 35mm and 120 versions. They are wonderful cameras, but all have their individual issues. Widelux cameras are completely mechanical, all metal construction, and will take more of a beating, but a properly functioning Noblex camera rotates smooth-as-silk and is more likely to be free of "banding". Widelux cameras need regular cleaning and lubrication to render peak performance but don't have the electronic vulnerabilities of a Noblex. However, it's those electronics that allow for the greater range of shutter speeds in the Noblex. Some of the Noblex models have other features that the Widelux cameras don't, such as focusable lenses, lens shift, and multiple exposure capability. Many of the Noblex 150/175 models will also accept the versatile Panolux exposure module and the slow speed grip.<br>

Battery corrosion is a common problem in Noblex cameras, especially the 135 models which use AAA's, so it's advisable to remove the batteries when not in use. The 150/175 models feature a rotary shutter speed selector switch, which is weakly constructed and can be easily damaged. Noblex cameras also need periodic replacement of the drive-wheels that rotate the drum. <br>

Both companies are no longer in business, but we still have a reasonable supply of the most commonly needed replacement parts. We also re-manufacture the Noblex drive-wheels and shutter speed switches in house. Precision Camera Works was the authorized repair facility in the USA for Widelux at the time they closed.<br>

As to a preference, if I were seriously into shooting panoramics with film, I'd probably own both, but would designate the Widelux as a back-up, primarily because of the greater versatility of the Noblex. The lenses are quite sharp on both of them, but I'd give the Noblex glass the edge.</p>

<p>Bob Watkins<br>

Precision Camera Works</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hey Bob, I just ran across this forum posting. You did a great job on my Noblex 150UX repair for the shutter release, drive wheel and film door catch. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Hey I have a copy of the manual for the Noblex 150F and if I scan it and send it to you it would be good to post it for others with that particular model. I noticed that you had the manual for the UX posted and there are some important differences in parts and operation. For instance, on loading the camera, after winding the film to the arrows on the film paper backing, close the camera back then press the shutter release button. It doesn't matter if the camera is on or not. Then wind the film on until it stops at the number 1 on the counter. If the shutter release is not pressed before winding, you will just wind the whole roll of film through the camera to the take-up spool and waste a roll of film.</p>

<p>I have a Noblex 135 S, which I've owned since buying new in 2002. I love the camera, and hope it lasts for decades to come (though I'm not sure how likely that is when relying on electronics), but it developed drum rotation problems when it was just a couple of years old. Particularly at the slower shutter speeds, the drum rotation sometimes won't begin, even though I can hear the motor whirring. (If I give the drum a nudge with my finger, rotation starts and proceeds as normal.) Initially I thought it was due to weak batteries, but I've since come to the conclusion that the problem is with the drum drive wheel - the problem identified by Precision Camera Repair - and I'll hopefully be sending my camera to them to replace the drive wheel once I have the spare cash available.<br>

As for Noblex manuals, as far as I know, these are all still available from the manufacturer's website:<br /> http://www.kwdo.de/deutsch/noblex/download.htm</p>

<p>Hello Jay!<br>

We're very glad you are pleased with our work!<br>

Thank you for the offer of the manual scan too!<br>

As Colin O brings to our attention you can get the manuals here: <a href="http://www.kwdo.de/deutsch/noblex/download.htm">http://www.kwdo.de/deutsch/noblex/download.htm</a><br>

too!</p>

<p>We will be posting that link on our website as well and may, in the future, post direct PDFs as well.<br>

As always, we are always available to answer your questions (Noblex and many many more!)</p>

<p>Bob</p>