New M6 - Serious Proplems

<p>Julien, you should be able to redeem the important GST and the PST taxes (or harmonized sales tax, depending upon your province) as well as the small duty fee when the item is returned. I will keep my eyes open for an M6 if I hear of one locally (Quebec) in the near future. As a previous user of a couple of them I may be able to check one out for you. I am sure others here will probably do the same.</p>

<p>Arthur and Mukul,</p>

<p>Thanks. Unfortunately I can't purchase one anymore as I've spent my limit on shipping and such in the past few months, and until I get reinbursed for some of the items - including the M6 - I can't purchase anything.</p>

<p>I'm going to sit this one out. Maybe in a few years.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Jon,</p>

<p>The duty charged is really a handling fee, about $10. Greater duty was charged at one time in the distant past on camera stuff, unless it was for professional use. The killers now on imported items are the two taxes (5% and 8%, approx.), although it should be added that if you buy the equivalent product in Canada through a store you normally are saddled with those, or at least one of them.</p>

<p>What ISO speed did you have the M6 set to when you compared meter readings with your Nikon(s)?<br /> I use 2 M6TTL's and I wouldn't consider the winding action silent on either one and while smooth I can still "feel" the gearing.<br /> Any chance you're being a little hyper-critical on this body? It's really odd to find one so cosmetically sound with so many internal issues.</p>

<p>Bob S,</p>

<p>It tested 8 stops off. I tried all ISOs - nothing works. Half the time the meter won't even turn on. Not even in the right ballpark.</p>

<p>I tried 3 new batteries. Unless there are special 3.0v Lithium batteries, then it's not working.</p>

<p>ALignment is alignment, and it's off.</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>OK,</p>

<p>So I just heard back from the seller. In all fairness, he seems to be an honest person that was perhaps out of his league when selling camera equipment.</p>

<p>He just offered me $300 for the repairs - do I accept this and take the risk that the repairs are between $300 and $400? I don't mind paying a bit since I was considering a CLA anyways.</p>

<p>The meter could be just a bad connection, OR, completely useless.</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>I would ask the seller to extend his offer to take return of the camera until you have it evaluated by a Leica repair person. $300 is about the cost of a CLA and further repairs to the camera could be much more depending upon what might be wrong with it. I know it seems like a hassle, but even if you return this camera and purchase another, there may be something wrong with the next one. Furthermore, you did get it for a pretty good price At least you have a nice looking camera and $300 toward servicing it. I would have it checked out before making a decision. If the seller won't extend your return time, send it back to him.</p>

<p>Julien, that's a wonderful development <strong>!</strong><br /> If they share in the repair to the tune of $300, then your net payout for the M6 is currently $800.<br /> This for a "perfect cosmetic condition" M6? <strong>That's a steal !</strong></p>

<p>The $300 offer to you is deficient only if you hit step <strong>#6</strong> in my check list of M6 meter issues.<br /> It's certainly worth the "roll of the dice", because you now have "house odds" with the $800 starting point...</p>

<p>The seller agreed to this. I will send it to Kindermann monday morning and wait for an estimate. I cleaned all the finder surfaces, it's very bright and clear now. The glow from the LEDs were from skin oil on the surface of the viewfinder (close to the eye).<br>

The only BIG issue now is the meter. The RF is out of alignment vertically, but that can be adjusted. I don't think it needs a complete overhaul - just the RF vertical alignment and the meter, but the meter could be a big problem.<br>

J</p>

<p>Julien, as you are in Canada Gerry Smith at Kindermann is a good choice, especially as David Yau of the same city was not sure about the meter. Gus has provided good advice. Perhaps if you chat with Gerry (a very amiable Scot) he may have some idea about why the meter is acting that way. He has lots of Leica experience as well (Kindermann used to be the Canadian repair site for Leica, and I think still is). If it is worth anything, he charged me only $80 to replace a spent bellows on my otherwise inoperative 1-c enlarger, which included about $40 for the original Leitz bellows (his last one, I believe, but amazing he still had that part). I presume you have had a chat with Gerry and have mentioned the diagnostic to date.</p>

<p>Your seller sounds like a good guy, if not one familiar with the equipment.</p>

<p>I'd send it back. You might ask the seller for the cost of a CLA rebated, but I doubt he'd agree to that. The right to a refund in a fair time should be a <em>given; </em>satisfaction guaranteed. <br>

When buying this kind of equipment, I just factor the cost of a CLA into the price. As mentioned above, shooting a roll thru it might tell you something. If you send it back and <em>do not </em>get your money back, you then would have picture proof that it was defective.<br>

Welcome to the <em>Age of the Ripoff!</em></p>

<p>Well you can always pick up another one. I think I would have just sent it in for a service or repair as needed. Everything on it can be fixed as new. However if you have bad feelings about the deal then you just got to do what you have to do. The M6 is not a new camera any longer so you should figure on service or repair when you do get a keeper. Mail order shopping is not easy. Just make sure the company is reputable and offers some warranty. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The saga ends,</p>

<p>Well, after speaking to Gerry Smith from Kindermann Services, it seems that the M6 needs a CLA and a new meter circuit board - in the range of $600. Although the seller is willing to pay $300, I have already busted my alloted budget with shipping costs, money lost on shipping for my 500CM, etc.</p>

<p>Oh to have a local camera store that deals with used film cameras.</p>

<p>Also, the Summicron I purchased on ebay needs a complete overhaul. So far 0/4 with online purchases.</p>

<p>The M6 dream will have to wait for a while now,</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help,</p>

<p>J</p>