Etsy

<p>I joined another, like Etsy, sort of as a courtesy to help them get started. I've never sold anything through them, and I know of no artist friend who has yet made a sale on Etsy. I do know three female friends who have purchased purses, shoes, and non-art type stuff on Etsy.</p>

<p>My other half has used Etsy for a few years. She does jewellery, so it is different, but she hasn't sold anything through it. It has been useful as an advertising tool, and although it is difficult to quantify (your just going on what customers tell you), a few of her direct sales have come about from people who found her on Etsy.</p>

<p>It seems to be the usual story of a site attracting hundreds of sellers, and thousands of browsers, but very little in the way of sales.</p>

<p>Etsy is a fantastic place, but it's emphasis is really more on crafts than art and photography. I know they do have a photography section, but the majority of the etsy shoppers I know go there to by crafty things, not art. In addition, the competition (or the amount of postings) is very, very high. It definitely takes a lot of effort in order to make yourself visible on etsy, and frankly I don't think the returns are worth it. At least not in photography.</p>

<p>I think it would be better to have your own site, and then take orders through paypal or something similar. I am however speaking a bit more out of my comfort zone, as while I may be an etsy shopper I am not a professional photographer. Merely an amateur.</p>

<p>I listed about a dozen prints on Etsy about 3 months ago and have sold one print. I've had a few people (members of the site) show interest but only one sale...I wouldn't say it is a super profitable solution for photographers, but it is relatively cheap, so it is just another way to get yourself out there.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I'm very interested in Etsy, I'm looking for as much info as I can but will save this thread and get back to you. I know some people who are photographers and do very well at selling on Etsy, but as Sarah mentioned the emphasis is on gifts and crafts. That said it shouldn't be dismissed - all photography is competitive, especially the gift market. I think if one were to design a product that tailors to the environment. Not for everybody but I like it. </p>