Nikon Wednesday Pic 2011: #3

Matt Laur

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This photo is from Jan. 1, 2011. After warm temps and thunderstorms on New Year's Eve, I went to a small creek near my house. Usually there is a small amount or water flowing over a series of ledges that I call the stairsteps. On Jan. 1, it turned into a swift moving small river. I used and ISO of 100 with a f/stop of F/16. That gave me the desired effect with the water.</p><div>00Y3dS-322759584.jpg.b88582e304965181a5919dc8236bcb79.jpg</div>

<p>No time to shoot last week. Just came back from a trip to lovely country of Jordan. Wadi Rum, Petra and Aqaba were on the list, but it was a trip that had no room for photography with the trusted D700. So I took my wife's Canon Ixus 5.0 and man was I sorry.</p>

<p>The shot attached is from my trip to Peru in 2000. Set up was a F100, Tokina 28-80 AT-X Pro and probably Sensia 100.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for again sharing your lovely shots this Wednesday!</p><div>00Y3dr-322771584.jpg.1b4204e8eb11253c2b64cd4fb17f6a97.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Joe:</strong> The terms "Irish" and "Red" for setters appear to be used interchangeably by some breeders and with specific distinction by others. The dog I photographed was present with three siblings, and the handler told me that he uses the term "Red Setter" to make it clear that these are field-bred dogs, aimed at being hard hunters rather than pretty, happy-go-lucky family dogs without a prey drive - something he complained that many Irish Setter bloodlines have become over the years. Most people wouldn't want a hard-headed field dog around the house, that's for sure!<br /><br />And, it's early yet on Wednesday, but since I'm chiming in again ...<br /><br /><strong>Roberta:</strong> I'm always happy when you show that your things-to-do-with-water-drops well hasn't run dry! Fun.<br /><br /><strong>Greg K:</strong> The drangonflies are terrific. Jewelry, really.<br /><br /><strong>Jennifer:</strong> I don't know how you're <em>ever</em> going to get your daughter to have any self confidence. :-) Really, your periodic shots of her are always terrific.<br /><br /><strong>Alex Z:</strong> Definitely worth your hike up that hill.<br /><br /><strong>Aguinaldo:</strong> Your timing (with the gawking backpacker) and composition really convey the power and scale of the falls. That's harder to do than it seems. Very nice.<br /><br /><strong>Kevin:</strong> Thank you for setting the record straight.<br /><br /><strong>Jeannean:</strong> It was fleeting but you were fleeter, and a good thing, too. That's beautiful.</p>

<p>Lots of lovely photos this week. Kevin D., your picture made me laugh! Looks a lot like the scenes I used to find in my house just a few years ago. (Now that my kids are 16 and 12, I trip over electronics and art supplies instead.)</p>

<p>Back to the zoo this past weekend. This was a favorite from the day. </p><div>00Y3h2-322801584.jpg.0792a1af53ab64628c39ec4d57b60ee3.jpg</div>

<p>Great photos once more. Would take up too much space to comment on all of them<br>

We teach our little girls to be kind, sweet, nice, etc. Then we enroll them in basketball. Hmmm. Aggressive? The Number 2 is my granddaughter. She really is sweet.</p><div>00Y3iu-322819584.jpg.e3ef20b152d48c0d21f9debbf68223af.jpg</div>