critique my setup

moosekaka_lim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>update 2: seems like a good deal, guy told me he had 10 rolls of film done on this scanner.<br>

now the issue is: should i keep my v500 flatbed? i bought it new from B&H in december 2010, so it has 11 months of warranty on it and i only paid $125, i dont shoot MF but might someday....does the coolscan IV scan 120 film?</p>

<p>Well, that scanner would have been cheaper when it was easy to get a Coolscan 5000, but, it's a good scanner and it's not like you can't resell it and recoup your money if you don't end up liking it. Prices on Nikon scanners are just nuts these days. You're definitely going to need Vuescan for it, unless you have a computer running an old version of Windows sitting around. Hang on to the Epson, at least for now. The Coolscan IV does not do medium format.</p>

<p>thanks once again andrew, i have a xp laptop and win 7 64 desktop, but i have read from the forums here its possible to run nikon scan 4.0.3 on the 64 by installing vuescan driver. will give both software a go.<br>

incidentally, my main concern is achieving the right color balance with color negs, and this link here shows how to do it:<br>

<a href="http://www.jingai.com/scanningguide/sec%203%20balancing%20color%20film.html">http://www.jingai.com/scanningguide/sec%203%20balancing%20color%20film.html</a><br>

does anyone know if its possible to 'lock' exposure in nikonscan? maybe i should post this question in the scanner forum.,...</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>UPDATE:<br>

after a couple months and 20 rolls later, here is an update:<br>

much happier with my scans now i have a coolscan iv.<br>

sold my N70 and bought a N80 from KEH, should work much faster than the N70's dumb controls.<br>

LOVE the F100.<br>

real shooting situations, i carry my F100 with the 70-300 and the N70/80 with the 24mm f2.8. This setup is fast and flexible, out in the field i find i need a setup that lets me take pictures quickly and easily without too much fussing around. <br>

only thing i dont like: whenever people see me with the rather bulky 70-300 and f100 combo, they always say nice camera bla bla bla.....its hard to be inconspicous. i dont know how people do it with D3's and 70-200 f2.8....</p>