metal pictures

rossb

<p>One of the managers at the Hospital I work in shoots a lot of formats but he used a large format color scenic picture and had a metal panoramic picture made from it. No framing required. It was very bright, sharp and an all around real nice scenic picture. Bay Photo Lab in the bay area is making these. His was a very large picture and he said it was $250.00 for the printing on the metal material. Just thought I would share something I had not seen before. It will be hanging in the Hospital someplace. He shoots medium format and large format and does family snapshots and hospital events with a DSLR.</p>

<p>Sounds cool but I'm confused. Where was the metal (paper, film, etc.) and it sounds like some kind of thing from the provider of the service, ie metal flake or some kind of metal added in paper.</p>

<p>Was it the substrate? Was it a process that required inert metal, ie palladium, gold, platinum, or was it some kind of inkjet technology?</p>

<p>Kudos to him for making something beautiful, just wondering about the 'metal' aspect...</p>

<p>I thought you meant something like the Kodak metallic prints but looking at Bay Photo I see the metal photos. http://www.bayphoto.com/metalprints/index.htm</p>

<p><strong>MetalPrints™ represent a new art medium for preserving photos by infusing dyes directly into specially coated aluminum sheets. </strong>Because the image is infused into the surface and not on it, your images will take on an almost magical luminescence. Metal Prints are available in 4 different surfaces: High Gloss, Satin, and Sheer with a Glossy or Matte finish. You've never seen a more brilliant and impressive print! Colors are vibrant and the luminescence is breathtaking. Detail and resolution are unsurpassed. To compliment this unique printing method, we have also developed a variety of ultra-modern ways to hang and display your Metal Prints.</p>

<p>A woman photographer I know here in Milwaukee gets her images printed on big sheets of aluminum and she sells quite a few of them. A printing company here can print on just about any surface you want them to up to one inch thick. </p>

<p>Not to swerve off topic but regarding the metallic paper. I am usually the last to learn about anything....I had my first print made with the Kodak Metallic last year for a contest and was amazed at how the colors popped. Got lucky and won first place in the division I entered using this paper. The metal sounds like a fun idea, but a little pricey.</p>

<p>JDM, it's a lot like the <a href="http://www.inkaid1.com/">inkAID</a> prints that some of us have been doing for a decade now.</p>

<p>InkAID is a clear, ink receptive coating that you can put on practically anything. My Epson 4000 will accept material up to 1.6mm thick: i've used inkAID on 18 gauge sheet brass and run it through with a 6 tone black process, for really gorgeous results. I've run acrylic sheets, rice paper (the inkAID lets me hit a DMAX of about 1.6, where I'd get about 1.1 without it), old printed circuit boards, you name it.</p>

<p>These metalprint people are doing something similar, but they're specializing in a very small range of substrates, so I assume they can work out techniques for coating them evenly and for profiling them.</p>

<p>John Galyon, good point. I have a print hanging on my wall that they mounted on some kind of wood or gatorboard. This was back in 1982. I was working at a little photo store in Malibu and got great discounts. It looks like they sprayed some kind of glossy coating on it. The print still looks fine. I wonder if the coating helped preserve it?<br>

Smugmug does a similar mount. http://www.smugmug.com/prints/mounted-prints I have the option for customers to buy mounted prints on my website but no sales of mounted-prints so far. 99% of my customers want regular prints from 4x6 to 8X10</p>

<p>John, I haven't been selling my photographs until about 3 years ago, but have found it difficult to sell a framed print. People simple want to frame to their tastes...not mine. Once I started having my pics printed on canvas, my sales leaped. Of course, any photograph can be printed on canvas, but not all photos translate well to this medium. I couldn't begin to educate you on that subject...but that's where a good printer comes in. I work with a company that has vast experience in all types of printing...so rather than experiment, I trust their advice and they've never failed me yet. If you get serious about canvas prints, I'd urge you to consider that "all canvas prints are NOT created equally". As is the case with almost anything...if you go the cheap route, it'll bite you in the end. I use the services of a printing company that I truly believe is as good as any you'll find on the planet...but their prices are reasonable, especially considering the quality of the product. They've printed 50" x 25" canvas wraps for me, for around $350. Size isn't everything...but with the right picture, printing that size can be quite impressive. Depending on the photograph, canvas printing quite often gives a "painterly" effect to the photograph, which many people love. At the time I started having these prints made I was a member of a local art cooperative, and like you....my primary sales were mostly small prints. But as I said...once the canvas prints hit the walls, I went from from $25-$75 prints, to those topping $1000. If you'd like some info on my printer, just drop me a line and I'll be glad to send. As for the coating: I'm no expert, but I know that these guys use either a spray, or a liquid that they rub on with a cloth. The one time I actually watched them doing it, they used the liquid...and if I'm not mistaken, they were putting on the 3rd coat. It takes several hours between coats for drying...and I doubt that the lower priced printers follow the process these guys do. The coating protects against dirt/dust, scratches, and fading...although, as is the case with any photograph or painting...hanging them in direct sunlight is not a good idea. Anyway...let me know if I can help! </p>

Black river imaging also sells them now. I have ordered metal prints from them, and bay photo as well. They are fabulous,

and the pricing has become more affordable recently. When you consider not having to mat and frame a print, it's actually

less expensive in some sizes. My customers love them and I love the way the colors pop. You don't have to worry about

them getting water damaged or fading either.

<p>I have had a few done, and given some as gifts to friends, and I've been very pleased with the results. I actually have a couple that are hanging outside so I can see how they hold up. I think this presentation style is perfect for the outside living space, having an actual photo you want just like in your inside living space. My girlfriend has our deck, tiki bar and the outside shower walls decorated with the beach theme stuff; colorful fish, birds, etc. wall hangings. Now she's able to add her favorite pics too. I've got a friend that runs a beach themed gift shop, and she's interested in putting a few of my pieces up in her place for sale; on the metal. I've never taken myself to serious about this, but we'll see how this goes. </p>

<p>Rich </p>

• 6 months later...

<p>I have ordered metal prints from Bay Photo, and am pleased with the results.<br>

Notes:<br>

None of the metals are ideal for *subtle* gradients and tones. Bright, contrastry images will do the best. That said, I am a product photog and the tradeoff is fine for me.<br>

High Glossy: Has a white base added. Your, whites are whites, blacks are black. Gradients are ok, SHINY surface that allows you to read the lettering on the lightbulb above your table; it's almost a mirror with direct light hitting it.<br>

Satin: White base added, has a satin feel to it. Reflective but soft, you'll see light sources but only as a general shape, similar to satin prints. While the colors are deep, there is a dull feeling left over the image. Not perfect for every print, but good for moody images or those that don't need vibrant, color pops.<br>

Sheer Matte: No white base, your whites are metal colored, not good for images with large area of white or where gradients in whites are desired to be seen. Least reflective, great feel of metal front and back, whereas Glossy and Satin are certainly metal, but you can tell they have a substrate other than just metal.<br>

Sheer Glossy: One of my faves, although it doesn't work for my needs. Vibrant gloss gives life to deep colors but pastels and light colors have less life. But man does the shine of deep colors with the brushed metal below it look amazing!</p>

<p>Hope this helps if you are considering metal printing. You can order 5x7 samples from Bay Photo about $40. It's 4 pieces, one of each finish, all of same image. I created a 5x7 template from 7 images that I'd likely use, testing deep reds, white on white that had purposeful gradients, black lettering, pastel blue baground with yellow canvas shoes in front, and gradients from an electronic shot.</p>

<p>I am currently looking for any tips and tricks on different treatments for metal printing. Ways to increase depth, contrast, etc. also specific lighting techniques for hanging. Any input on furthering the development of this print medium would be eagerly listened to.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Darius<br>

</p>