Ball head on Slik Pro II?

dshombert

<p>I have a Slik Pro II tripod that I like for travel -- compact, fits in my carry-on, works fine with a small micro-four-thirds camera. It came with a pan/tilt head and I'm wondering if that can be swapped for a ball head such as the Slik SBH-120DQ. It's not obvious how to get the pan/tilt head off, and the user's manual (such as it is) isn't much help. Anyone here know? Thanks.</p>

<p>I don't have the Slik Pro II, but I do have the Slikl 500DX and the 700DX Pro. Both came with a pan-head. Not sure about your unit, but there should be hex key screw that you have unscrew before you can get the pan-head off. The screw sits directly on top of the center column.</p>

<p>Which Pro II do you have? Slik makes some different Pro II tripods like Carbon Master Pro II, Sprint PRo II (altough the model name can be different according to where thay are sold) etc.</p>

<p>If yours is Sprint Pro II, it should come with SH-704E pan/tilt head which can be easily removed. You just try to tighten the pan lever, hold the head with both hands, hold the tripod with both laps and rotate it counter-clockwise. The thread for the head is the standard 1/4" type and you can mount virtually any ballhead on the market including SBH-120DQ.</p>

<p>The one I have is the Pro II 3-Way, and it turns out the screw that attaches the head is inside the short (detachable) top section of the center tube,i.e., it goes from the bottom up. I think Akira's suggestion would have worked if it hadn't been on so tight -- I couldn't hold the tripod tightly enough. But a long Allen wrench inside that short tube did the trick. Thanks to both of you.</p>