Leica Photos in National Geographic

red dawn

Hi

contributing my bit of nat geo photograhers trivia.......

The story on Weapons of Mass Destruction in this month's National

Geographic magazine was photographed by Lynn Johnson. Unless she

changed systems recently, I do believe she's a M user.

check it out if u're interested....

But does it make the pictures any good (or any better than those made with other brands'camera's?). It is the photographer that makes the picture, not the camera or it's brand.

Oh, last month's pictures of New Zealand were made by Frans Lanting, he uses Nikon.

Such useless info...

Frank

Perhaps not totally useless Frank. This IS a Leica forum and even Leica

promotes the work shot with their cameras (for obvious reasons). I

always like to see if I can spot certain characteristics that have a Leica

look to them. It's not all dead serious, just fun sometimes.

Boon Hwee (or should it be Teo?): there's a picture of Lynn with her Leica in the back section of the magazine "On Assignment" or "Behind the scenes" or some such. She's wearing'clean-room' overalls.

I'm not sure why Leica has caught on at Nat. Geo. over the past few years (I know, I know; because it's the "best camera in the world" - hnpf, hnpf, hnpf!) But several staffers/contractors/freelancers work with them: Dave Harvey, Stuart Franklin, Vince Musi, Eric(?) Valli, Reza, Mike Nichols (along with Canon gear), plus several others whose names escape me.

A few Magnum shooters do work for Nat. Geo. - and I think the 'travel light' influence rubbed off. They just realized they didn't have to carry 6 suitcases full of equipment (as in the past) to get good pictures. Mechanical reliability in remote places may be a factor. Lens quality (maybe) - or just the fact they're good 'people' cameras.

The quality of the shooting is somewhat variable - which just goes to show that hitting the target depends on the archer, not the arrows.

<P>According to the tech notes, linked to from <A HREF="http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0211/feature1/index.html">here</A>, she used Leica rangefinder gear. If nothing else, seeing good work from someone with the same or similar equipment is a nice reminder that working on technique might be more productive than acquiring more hardware. And I always appreciate technical details. It's fun to see what other people are using and how.</P>

More to the Galen Rowell point: he just used Nikon not leica or if he ever used

Leica, it wasn't regularly.<P>

Here is a long time & legendary National Geographic Society photographer

who switched from Leica cameras to a different brand a few years ago and

who sees no difference in the images: William Albert Allard. who switched to

the Canon EOS cameras a few years ago. <P>The only visual characteristics

i can think that might transfer between the photography and the reproduction

of the photography to the printed page will be the visual style of the

photographer.

At a Photo Night in California I heard Allard say he uses Canon a lot now but that he recognizes there is something special about the Leica glass that sets it apart (presumably from Canon). If I recall right, he said that's partly why he used the M's on the Blues project. Don't quote me on it though, it was a few years ago.

The photographer for the Afghanistan article you mention was Lois Raimondo (sp) who's a staffer at the Washington Post and I believe (but could be wrong) that her work was reprinted in NGM. I think she was using both dig and color neg. Great work. The lantern photo was just great.

In response to the comment from TT about Provia 400, isn't 400

speed slide film VERY grainy compared to color neg? You can

see some prominent grain in Lynn Johnson's photo of the kids

and the gas mask in the National Geographic article. Of course,

that photo has been enlarged to about a page and a half inside

the magazine.

• 2 months later...