Evaluation of my current collection

<p>I use http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/ to estimate the value of cameras.<br>

It isn't hard to find ones below the lower price point, though.<br>

There are a lot of very good cameras available for $10 to $50. If they work, use them. If not, set them on a shelf.<br>

My latest is a Nikon EL2, one of the early AI cameras, for $46. I also got a Nikomat FTN, pre-AI with a non-AI 28/3.5 for $16.<br>

The FD mount Canon SLRs are also very affordable. The EF mount film cameras are also available for reasonable prices, and the lenses will work with DSLRs. </p>

-- glen

<p>Based on your condition description, I would use the Contax IIIa with a separate meter and take Gus Lazzari's advice about not making extensive repairs on the other body. I have two IIIa's that are both functional, although one of them caps the shutter at 1/1250 so I don't use that speed with that camera, and I haven't found it to be that much of a limitation. My professional work is all digital--my Contax is for fun, so the lack of convenience and reliability isn't a huge issue for me. When the bodies finally quit they will become shelf queens, and perhaps I will then investigate a mirrorless digital body to use the fine Zeiss and Nikon RF lenses I have acquired.</p>

So it sounds like I should dump the contax cameras while the market is good enough to get what I paid for them and

invest in another brand of camera, does anyone have suggestions on rangefinders. I would like to stay german for the

time frame so I'm assuming leica is the only way to go.

<p>You should try the Contax and see how you like it. It has a distinct personality and great lenses that you might like or not, and the only to find out is to use it. Any 1950's vintage camera is likely to have issues, even Leicas that haven't been serviced recently by a competent repair service. </p>

<p>Kevin, it's your life and your money, do what you want to do. If you like Contaxes use them if it makes you happy.<br>

What you have to realise is that, sadly, not everybody who posts at photo net does so with an altruistic desire to help other photographers. Unfortunately, some people have their own agendas to push, and/or grievances with other members of the photographic industry (which can become very tedious to see repeated over and over).<br>

If you do want to try another classic alternative, consider a Voigtlander Prominent, Kevin. Much more interesting than just another Leica. Considering how many Nokton lenses have been converted to M mount I don't think the Leica fanboys are really in a position to question the optics. Take a look at Rick Drawbridge's post about his, complete with some black and white images, and see how sharp the Voigtlander lenses are. The ergonomics are "interesting", but, don't be put off by that, it didn't stop Exakta doing well for decades... Another plus for the Prominents is that they are exquisitely finished and detailed, and certainly one of the most beautiful rangefinders ever manufactured. If you need any help with the Contaflex, feel free to contact me (but it sounds like you are nearly there).</p>

• 2 weeks later...
I have deleted the last few posts and locked this thread. The OP should have the information he wants. Now it seems to be descending into personal attacks by people who hold different views. Differences of opinions are expected and should be judged on their merits. This is a very friendly forum and I intend to keep it that way. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
James G. Dainis