A Kodachrome coincidence?

<p>53 years ago a young fellow (me) went into a local department store in small town Pennsylvania looking for my first 'real' camera. I was tired of fuzzy flat B&W drugstore prints from a non-adjustable Brownie. Michael, the manager of the jewelry/camera department talked me into a Kodak Pony IV. I had no idea about the role of shutter, aperture, or focus but Michael patiently worked with me over a period of a year or so. He explained what went wrong on the bad shots and praised me for the good ones.</p>

<p>He introduced me to the yellow & red Kodachrome 135 box and opened up a whole new world of color for me. Those 50+ year-old slides still look great. I have tens of thousands of Kodachromes that followed as I progressed into the SLR's with all their bells and whistles. Sitting on my shelf...next to my Canon collection...is that same Kodak Pony Michael sold me. It still works flawlessly.</p>

<p>On December 31, 2010 Kodachrome gasped it's last breath. I just finished reading the old hometown paper online. Michael died January 1, 2011. Michael took his favorite film with him.</p>

<p>I'll miss them both.</p>

<p>In a fit of boredom, I took a look at the film section on the big auction site yesterday. <br /> Lo and behold, there were over two dozen sellers listing Kodachrome for sale, with auction posting dates in JAN, days after the films last gasp at Dwayne's. Of course, none of these sellers mentioning the film is now dead.</p>

<p>Or is it?</p>

<p>Even if you got the rolls of film for free, is there any viable use for this film, now that the chemistry is gone, and the last processor has ceased the proper Kodachrome developing end of the process?</p>

<p>I understand that Kodachrome can be developed to a B&W negative by any standard B&W developer or can be reversal processed to a B&W slide. Of course the question would be why bother. I suppose that if some undeveloped but exposed film were discovered and one wanted to recover the image bad enough it would be better than nothing. I'm sure this question will pop up on the film processing forum in the next few weeks and someone will post complete instructions on means and methods.</p>

<p> </p>