Epson V500 carrier problem

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I just bought an Epson V500 for a great price. I mostly scan 35mm, and the scans have been perfectly fine for my intents and purposes (web, small prints, photo blog, proofing, etc).</p>

<p>However, when I insert my negatives, one side of the rebate lies on the plastic of the carrier, essentially clipping part of the "border". This is unacceptable to me. I checked it on my friend's carrier, and it's the same thing.</p>

<p>Is it possible my cameras (FM2n and FE2) don't light up the image in the center? It seems to be centered...but with such a small margin.</p>

<p>I need to see the rebates. Is this possible with the V500 or V600?</p>

<p>J</p>

<p>Here's an image I just scanned. It's OK, but not that great. I'm thinking of returning the V500 - don't like that the carrier crops into the image sometimes, and barely shows any of the rebate. Don't they know photographers like their rebates???</p>

<p>Is there anything in the 250$-500$ range that can give me an improvement? I don't think a V600 or V700 would be much different. Any older models that can still work on new machines? Anything on the horizon for hybrid photographers (film+scan)?</p>

<p>J</p>