Shutter noise

paulferesten

<p>Paul,<br>

I've not heard of any of Canon's DSLR's to be known for their quiet shutter!</p>

<p>But this is something I don't fully understand.<br>

In my film bodies, I have the Canon Elan 7e, it's shutter is absolutely whisper quiet! Although not an engineer, it seems to me that a quiet shutter should be just as possible on a digital body as a film body.</p>

<p>I do some wildlife shooting and the shutter noise of my 50D is certainly noticible by the critter's and often spook!</p>

<p>That's a pretty good link that Peter J. provided, . . . yep my 50D sounds just like the video! </p>

<p>I moved from an Elan 7e to a 20D, and boy, was that a big change in sound! As mentioned above, the Elan 7e was one of the quietest cameras around. I've since replaced the 20D with a 7D, and the 7D's shutter is quieter. I can't rate the sounds of the others as I haven't owned them.</p>

<p>If you're going to be doing shooting in an environment in which shutter noise is a big deal, you can make any camera quieter using what's called a blimp. Google camera blimp and you'll get a few ideas.</p>

<p>First of all, the full frame models (5D, 5D II) will be the loudest. Bigger mirror=louder slap. The Rebels are all fairly quiet. I would imagine all the others mentioned are probably pretty similar in loudness and a little louder than a rebel. The shutter sound you hear is the mirror slapping, the curtain doesn't make much noise at all. So if silence is something you're looking for, you may look into the new Sony cameras with translucent mirrors that don't raise up and make the "slap" noise. However, that may mean jumping ship. I would also bet the translucent mirror will become the new filter debate. I would have to think that light traveling through an extra mirror would have some effect on IQ.</p>

<blockquote>I would have to think that light traveling through an extra mirror would have some effect on IQ.</blockquote>

<p>O.T. I was reading a photographic magazine today (the name escapes me) and it was comparing the Sony SLT Alpha A55 and the Nikon D7000 with respect to high ISO noise. The author suspected that the light loss through the extra glass (mirror) may have contributed to more noise above ISO 1600 on the A55.</p>

<p>It's been awhile since I owned the 10D, but, if not the quietest on your list, is among the top 3 or 4! The loudest is probably the 5D2. It always surprises me after using a 7D. Whatever, all of the above are like furts in a hurricane compared to my old EOS 3 and FM3A...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If you can manage setting the "s" [for silent shutter found on Focus button ] on the 7D and MKIII and maybe even the 40D, its very quiet for birding.<br>

The only problem is it is a one shot modem, so your FPS will be about 3, lol] The files are very sharp using it. I really like it and don't know why Canon has such an annoying sound. It must be from the mirror slap.</p>

<p>I like the purr of a motor drive accented with mirror slap and shutter quack. The slap 'n quack ring strangely hollow in DSLRs without the cool robotic grind of film advance. My MD-12 motor drive (FM series) was the best sounding motor drive, just like the ones in movies. My EOS 3/PB-E2 was raw, ugly and gritty. Sounded like a Dremel<em> tool</em> cutting through cheap plastic.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I recently switched from 20D to 40D. The latter is noticeably quieter, although I don't know what a 20D would sound like out of the box, since both were used when I got them, 40D only 5000 counts though. I assume the noise does not change dramatically over time, unless it is about to give in.</p>

<p>I own a 20D and a 50D. The 20D is louder by 25-50%.<br>

I shoot musical and stage shows in a theater setting on a regular basis, and when the performances are quiet, I am certainly conscious about shooting with the 20D, even to the point of timing my shots with the louder sounds coming from the performances. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the 20D with a 40D or another 50D for that specific reason, but it is a short contract, and my photography is a side business so I don't think it is justified.<br>

Online research and listening to shutter recordings online lead me to believe that the 40D and 50D are similar, but the 20D is louder and also has a harsher sound. The 50D is lower in tone.<br>

The blimps are expensive.</p>