Powerhouse Portfolio Review

<p>Does anyone have experiences to share generally with portfolio reviews (were they helpful; were criticisms useful to you; why did you decide to attend and what did you hope to gain and what did you learn about the process, etc.), and specifically with the <a href="http://www.powerhouseportfolioreview.com/">Powerhouse Portfolio Review</a>, which costs $400 for non-students.<br /><br />I have a series of photographs that I think may make a good book, and I would like to have a professional's opinion, someone who reviews and looks at photographs critically daily, to give me an opinion. I feel they would be able almost instantly to say, either, there's nothing here really, or you could work with these and have a great portfolio for publication. Is this a good reason to go to a portfolio review?</p>

<p>Why not start with a local photographer or magazine editor who might take some time to look at your work and offer some help for free (or the cost of a lunch maybe)? If you are already in NYC maybe its worth a shot. What style/subject matter do you shoot?</p>