50D, 60D or the 7D?

<p>Although you don't say what Rebel it is, they are still perfectly capable shooters. If the small size makes them seem "unprofessional", just put a power grip on it and some tape over the danged "Rebel" label and no one (that matters) will guess.</p>

<p>Having said that, many of us consider that the control system on the xxD and 7D and up cameras is superior. You may not at first, since you've started on a Rebel. The cameras are bigger, and <em>feel</em> even bigger sometimes.</p>

<p>The 7D does not offer so terribly much advantage in image quality over the 50D or 60D, but it does have better weathersealing, and is built as a "professional" APS-C camera. That longer "life" is especially important in professional shooting, and with the number of Megapixels involved nowadays, you're unlikely to have to upgrade soon again on account of image quality as such (of course, there will always be tempting new features....).</p>

<p>However, weddings may or may not be "filthy" to shoot, so I would guess that either the 50 or 60D would serve just fine. The real difference there is video.</p>

<p>The 7D has dual processors so it's got a faster rate of continuous shooting, better video than the 50D but about the same as the 60D if memory serves. And depending on which Rebel you have, it may have a significantly better AF algorithm as well. I think IQ (like a previous poster stated) is really only noticeable at the highest ISO and if you want to pixel peep. Looking at the shots in dpreview when I was considering the 7D, I thought the color (RAW v RAW) looked a little nicer on the 7D compared to 60D, but of course if you process from RAW then you can make those corrections as part of your normal workflow. The improvements over the 60D are fairly small under conditions I'd consider "normal" shooting. The other poster mentioned the body construction, which I agree on, I think the 60D feels flimsy in my hands compared to the 7D. Just a question of what's worth the additional money I suppose. Hard to imagine you won't get good pictures with either of them.</p>

<p>Consider getting a T2i and demoting your current Rebel to a backup. They would both have the same controls, the T2i has the same sensor as the 60D and 7D. Think about upgrading your lens(es) and flash. A few years ago my brother worked in a custom lab that processed a lot of wedding work. The best photographer coming into his lab per his opinion was a woman who used two older Rebel cameras. She was very talented and had an artistic eye. Good luck! </p>

<p>Any of the cameras mentioned will produce images as good as your talent level will allow. </p>

<p>That said, I recently dumped my Rebel XSi and purchased a 7D. It has the same feel and control layout of my "back-up" 10d, which I still shoot. There is just something about the tactile feel of the 7D and 10D that I like better than the feel of the Rebel series cameras (and also the 60D from what I have been told). </p>

<p>First, the 7D and 10D fit my hand like a glove. Second, the 7D and 10D have a more robust build, fit and finish. Third, using the viewfinder in either the 7D or the 10D is like taking off blinders, when compared to using that of the Rebel XSi. Ultra-fast fps, image write times and auto-focus do not confront my typical style of shooting, but those may be additional considerations for you to work into your decision.</p>

<p>I like the 7D! I doubt I will buy another camera body for a very long time. The 7D immediately "fit" like a pair of well broken-in penny loafers. Good luck with your choice!</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman </p>

<p>My significant other and I both have 7D bodies and upgraded to them from 30Ds and 40Ds. I even kept a 40D as backup for awhile and then sold it because the 7D is so much better in just about every way that I didn't feel I needed a backup body. The 7D is a lot of camera though that requires you to spend a lot of time learning it to get the most out of its features, particularly the AF. While it's a camera you can take out of the box and use it successfully, you won't get the full benefit of it until you learn how to use all of the different AF modes (including learning how the AF sensitivity settings will benefit different shooting scenarios), and learn all of the different ways to configure the camera to best meet your shooting needs. We are both extremely happy with ours and won't upgrade to anything else for quite some time.</p>

<p>As someone said earlier, the T2i is also an outstanding choice. It is an amazingly capable camera and if you're already familiar with the feel of a Rebel, it's definitely worth considering. None of this is meant to dis the 50D or 60D; they're both excellent cameras. I think you just need to really consider what your needs are and what level of performance you need from a camera, and consider how much you'd like to be able to grow into that same camera body.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your responses. This is great information and will definitely help me with my decision! I currently have the Rebel xti which I do like but I find it is limiting when shooting in low light situations etc. I think the 7D will be a good choice for me but I am sure the other bodies would also be a fine choice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Some ideas:<br>

1. The 60D and 7D will give you improved high ISO performance over the 50D. So will the 550D, since it uses the same sensor.<br>

2. The 7D will give you better weather sealing and faster response comparing to the 50D and 60D.<br>

3. The 50D is still a great camera, but not if you need video.</p>

<p>I would imagine that for many the extra controls (2 e-dials) and larger pentaprism viewfinders of the xD and xxD series cameras along with better handling with larger/heavier lenses are significant factors in why they prefer these to the xxxD (rebel) series.</p>

<p>I'd say go with the 60D unless you're really set on the more rugged build of 50D/7D or speed of the 7D. The IQ is there, the feature set is there. The speed of operation, AF and build will still be better than your old Rebel. The only reason to get the 50D is if you really want the more solid build but don't want to pay for a 7D. </p>

<p>If you're shooting with accessory flash and larger-than-kit lenses, the ergonomics of any of these (especially with battery grip) will feel better than the Rebel.</p>