FX Vs DX lenses

<p>Perhaps most DX lenses can be used on FX camera in DX mode, or FX mode with vignetting.</p>

<p>Latest FX cameras detect DX lenses and automatically narrow the view by the crop factor, but this feature can be disabled in configuration.</p>

<p>Due to smaller circle of coverage needed for DX sensor, the lenses can be made smaller, lighter, and less expensive.<br>

However, due to the need to put AF_S and VR optics and electronics in the lenses, the DX lenses are sometimes almost as big as FX lenses.</p>

<p>For one thing, for quite a while Nikon was in denial about there being any need for the FX cameras (aka, "full-frame" or more properly, 35-mm sensor).<br>

As Frank has said, it is possible to take advantage of the smaller format to design lenses that are not only cheaper to build, but that may have other advantages deriving from the smaller area-to-cover.</p>

<p>When you say "can't [be] used" on FX (referring to DX lenses), do you mean that the camera won't make a photograph, or that the image projected by a DX lens doesn't cover the entire FX sensor? You say that you know about the vignetting, so it sounds like you already understand the basic issue. As Frank points out, Nikon's FX bodies can sense that you've mounted a DX lens, and will let you shoot to a sub-area (APS-C, or DX-sized) of the larger FX sensor. Or, you can tell it to shoot anyway, and see the entire FX frame, with the vignetting.</p>

<p>For most focal lengths - there is really not a reason for a "DX" lens - however on the wide angle end of things - if you mount a 10mm FX lens on a Dx body - you are in effect dealing with a 15 degree angle of view - so you're losing the wide part. </p>

<p>And just to clarify Frank's remarks - All Nikon FX digital bodies - will automatically determine if you mount a DX lens and shift into Crop Mode - which in effect eliminates the vignetting - but reduces you to a 5 or 6 megapixel camera. And yes - you can disable that feature via menus. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Matt, I did not know that there is a DX mode in D3 or D700 that's why I mentioned DX lenses can't be used on FX sensors (without causing vignetting). Now let us think of my Nikon f100 film camera. When I mount nikon 18-200mm VR DX lens on it, I can see that only area at the center is visible. Is what I see in view finder accurate or is there more vignetting than I can see ? Is metering accurate with this lens on film camera ? does this lens damage the camera? these are some other questions I came up with, after I heard from you guys.</p>

<p>That means that the actual image recorded on the film is 3% larger than whan you can see in the viewfinder. So, if you're seeing a bit of vignetting in the finder, you'll see a bit <em>more</em> of it on your negative (or slide, etc). If you were using a non-vignetting lens, you'd still be seeing a wee bit more image on the neg than you're seeing in the finder. 3% isn't much, needless to say.</p>