Size does matter, sadly

<p>well, I simply did a Google search on the latest iMac's and this photo.net discussion was referenced. I honestly don't know or care about how others feel about the computer I just bought. having used PC's and Sun Workstations for the last thirty-odd years, I was really impressed with the Apple iMac offering for advanced-study mathematics. in Wolfram Research Institute's Mathematica 8, they make use of the multi-cored architecture and the OpenGL graphics standard for rendering graphics. my studies are in partial-differential equations and Wavelets, and I was swayed by the performance that the Apple iMac offered. that, and I was tired of what HP, Gateway, and Dell were offering. my iPod and iPhone experiences have been so positive, that I decided to investigate Apple for my next computer purchase. and I am glad I did ... Mathematica blazes, and though I am a Lightroom owner I am more than a little intrigued as to how Aperture 3 might serve me. this iMac was designed by artists and engineers after my own heart and that's the beauty of the age we live in ... so many choices, and I can make informed choices based on my requirements and assessments, instead of those dictated by others. -daniel</p>

<p>Daniel, <strong>trying</strong> to stay OT, I’ll add I’m a big LR fan but Aperture is awesome for book printing. And on the new Apple App store, its only $80. I only use it for that task, after exporting images from LR in Adobe RGB (1998) but its worth that price of admission if you want to print books. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I reread the original posting and had to laugh - I have the opposite feeling about the iMac, in that it is so small. that is to say, there are no wires, cables, everything is wireless. the thin monitor allows me to push it up to the wall, and as someone mentioned, you could hang it off the wall if you desire. I read the link to the dissatisfied iMac owners, and I've observed that forums can present a skewed view. I'm not sure how many iMac's have been sold, but I am confident that the greater percentage are satisfied if not ecstatic owners. then again, my intent isn't to argue Apple versus PC, or Canon versus Nikon. it's about the process, it's about the photography. if, at the end of the day, it all works for you ... that's important. have you seen the display? if this screen was attached to a Vic-20 I'd still be a happy photographer. anyway .. thanks for the comments, and great photography to all. -daniel</p>

>>> I’m a big LR fan but Aperture is awesome for book printing.

Curious about that, Andrew. Can you elaborate? It's still Indigo-based on-demand printing with results

similar to Blurb, Apple photobooks, etc, right? Or something different with more options (sizes, bindings,

sizes, etc)? Or maybe the benefit mostly in image organizing/sequencing and book design?

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Daniel, there maybe no wires etc but just wait until you need extra hard drives and card readers. The messiest desks i've ever come across are those that produce on iMac's. You're soon tangled with usb & fw cables along with their power supply cables as it all must live on the outside of the Imac. They are also not thin at all. They have the components of a computer attached to the back of the monitor. An yes, I've also observed that forums can present a skewed view. For me, it's here on PN. I know of no other place on the net (and i do get out a bit) where Mac is gold and can do no harm. And yes, I have of course seen the display. It's gorgeous at that size. The 30" gets me even hotter. But truth be told, it's average quality display compared to the NEC's and high end Dell's. I disagree it's about the process and the photography. It has nothing to do with it. It's just a computer to me and just like Nikon or Canon are just cameras, it has nothing to with ones photography?</p>

<p>In my experiences, most "converts" that go to Mac, start from a troublesome and cheap ugly $800 HP/Dell that is hidden under to the desk and finish with a $2500 iMac. They then of course compare apples to apples. Yet one company is a hardware vendor and the other is a software vendor. One is the best choice for the dumb and lazy, the other is the worst choice for the dumb and lazy. It's apples vs. oranges, yet very few of the most vocal have eaten both.</p>

<p>I'm hearing what you are saying Garrison, but I can't say I agree. I didn't buy the iMac to do all the things you mentioned, and surely the Mac Pro is a better computer in a laboratory and research venue. I have several PC's that I do engineering upon. I have a Toshiba Netbook that my wife and I use when traveling. I wanted a faster computer for some intensive computation work, as well as one that could make use of OpenGL or Cuda standards for uber-fast graphics renderings within my math studies. and too, I wanted a nice environment to pursue my photography with. I started my investigations, looked at all the PC offerings, and then gravitated towards the new iMac. it simply met my requirements, and did so with (in my opinion) a beautiful piece of engineering art. everything resonated with my purpose ... so I ordered the iMac, and I am very pleased. I say it is about process, because though the image is paramount, it doesn't render itself. the process can serve, or not serve. I just found myself, for the first time, really seeing what Apple is all about. and I liked what I saw. I still have PC's and they are all running Windows 7, that has many nice features and some that trump Mac OS. I wasn't aware that Apple was favoured here, or there. I haven't been following photo.net for many years now. the initial discussion made the claim that the new iMacs were junk, and frankly, I just don't see that to be true. it's great to have choices .. you've made yours I am assuming, and I have made mine. peace -daniel </p>

<p>The Apple books are mainly Indigo based (not all products are and stuff like jackets are printed on similar on demand digital presses). There are lots of options! And lots of product besides just books (calendars, etc). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

>>> The messiest desks i've ever come across are those that produce on iMac's. You're soon tangled with

usb & fw cables along with their power supply cables as it all must live on the outside of the Imac.

Odd... 99% of the time the only cable attached to my iMac is a power cable. Is that OK?

Keyboard, mouse, printer, and network connection all wireless. The other 1% of the time is when I need to

clone my drive - one cable.

My assessment's the same as Daniel's; great computer and display coupled with a great operating

system. Super fast and totally reliable processing lots of large 5DII RAWs every day. No doubt like the 99.999%

similar users who do photo processing day i and day out.

Being an engineer, I appreciate its superb design with great, tightly coupled robust software with Unix/Mach

underpinnings. The 27" iMac wins on all accounts. Maybe I need to put VTEC stickers, ground effects neon, and a rear wing on it for extra speed and coolness?

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Our collective positive opinion of the iMac isn’t going to change some people’s minds, best we stick with the "If you're happy with what you have, be happy that you're happy with what you have!" mantra before this thread gets out of hand although the VTECK stickers are an interesting idea. </p>

<p>I am really enjoying my iMac, and per the title of this thread, make claim that if 'size does matter, sadly', that my impressions are contrary. I enjoy Windows 7 on my Toshiba laptop as well. this has never been a discussion of Apple versus anyone else. it's a testament that the iMac, for many, is not the negative experience that has been claimed by others here. -daniel (frozen San Juan Island)</p>

<p>Daniel, I hope you don't end up on the forum with over heating hard drives or flickering monitors. Regardless, you sound like a perfect fit for Ubuntu/Linux. If you're liking Mac/Unix, try it on an old PC computer you've retired. Fee and simple download, anyone in grade 5 can install it. And yes, I know, Mac certainly wins on form factor. Do you know the first iMac's cases had to be made in a car factory? But by "junk", let me ask, do you have much experience with yester-years motorola/ibm mac's? Superior quality compared to today's Mac and PC junk imo. Today's Mac, when stripped of their shell's, and placed part-by-part on a desk are identical to PC. All crapola imo, and no one can't tell one from another. But yet one is "rated" much higher? Sorry, I don't buy it, I see through it. Yes, like you I appreciated choices, not enough of them imo considering how important computers are to the world. To each their own; bubble or not. Enjoy your iMac, Daniel.</p>

<p> </p>