Is C-41 black and white film "real" black and white?

<p>I have only used C-41 process black and white film, specifically, Kodak Professional BW400CN. Despite its hefty name, it is a drugstore film but I have been very happy with it. My question is if this film is considered "real" black and white compared to the T-max, Tri-X etc.?</p>

<p>It's really film. But the processed image isn't silver, it's dye, that's why it's called chromogenic. It has a distinctive look, nice tonality, great dynamic range. Lots of folks really like it. It will make excellent pictures.<br>

But it doesn't have the archival stability of a traditional silver-image B&W film, and it's nasty to print optically on B&W paper. When printed optically on RA-4 color paper, it produces a reasonably color-neutral grey scale. This shouldn't be relevant on a digital mini-lab, but so many of them have operators too ill-trained to lock the printer into "B&W" mode when printing this film, so that feature sadly serves as "idiot proofing".</p>

<p>I too prefer Tri-X, would use Panatomic-X if I could, but I have been shooting a large batch of out-dated C41 Ilford XP2 with nice results. It's still black and white film of course. If it were platinum, would it not still be B&W? Silver is not the only photosensitive stuff, even if it is usually involved somewhere in both B&W AND color processes.</p>

<p>I find that it's best to scan C41 B&W in as color negative, but with Ilford XP-2 chosen in the VueScan menus.</p>

<p>Well, I think it is. It doesn't have any color information, so it must be a monochrome or B&W film. The image structure is made of dye, and not silver, and in that regard it is unconventional. Kodak's version of the film is a real bear to print in a traditional B&W darkroom. Ilford's XP2 Super almost prints itself in a traditional B&W darkroom. Both scan beautifully, and much better than any traditional B&W film.</p>