What to do with old Power PC G5

<blockquote>

<p><strong>So you don’t know</strong>. That’s typical of you.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lol. You're hilarious when you sink. Staying on topic in our off-topic argument, are you saying that I can't load CS5 onto a P3? Answer the question. You state it "aint gonna run" just like it wont run on a PPC. Do you stand by those words?</p>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Unlike you* (for whatever reason) I answer your silly questions. Why you keep using the term “load” when the word I’ve used is RUN, the answer is no, you cannot run CS5 on hardware that does not meet the minimum hardware requirements. As I stated and will say again, because your ability to understand written English is flawed, you can’t even INSTALL CS5 on a PPC machine. I know because I have both. You bet you can load (whatever that means) CS5 on a P3. Don’t bet, install CS5 and launch it on a P3. Yes or no, can you do this? And even if you can (and I want actual proof), it has zero to do with the OP’s question, and its pretty clear in the paper trail above, you’ve hijacked yet another post here and supplied zero useful data points to the OP unless somewhere he’s asked you your personal feelings about the cost of older hardware and how funny how this never comes up in the "Mac OS is so wonderful, Windows sucks" threads. You see anyone asking about either? Nope. OT hijacked editorial from Mr. K once again. <br>

*So you are saying that CS5, Lightroom, Capture 1, Bibble will run on a non Intel Mac or a Pentium® 3? Instead of ignoring the question at hand, how about you just answer it?</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>the answer is no, you cannot run CS5 on hardware that does not meet the minimum hardware requirements.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're mistaken.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes or no, can you do this?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's at the point where I have to copy and paste my own posts. I've loaded Windows 7 onto an older computer than a P3. I then loaded CS4 and LR2. To spell it out, that's on hardware that does not meet the minimum hardware requirements of Adobe either. I'm confident it will all go onto a newer P3 as well. I'll gladly buy a P3 off of Craigslist just to do it and rub your nose in it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>K: I <em>bet</em> I can run <strong>CS5 on a P3</strong>.<br>

AR: So you are saying that <strong>CS5</strong>, <strong>Lightroom*</strong>, Capture 1, Bibble will run on a non Intel Mac or a Pentium® 3?<br>

K: I've loaded Windows 7 onto an older computer than a P3. I then loaded CS4 and LR2. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>LR2 and CS4? Try reading the text above, with those characters called numbers. </p>

<p>Breaking news for Mr.K, the <strong>Minimum </strong>System Requirements for LR2 and CS4 are not the same as for LR3* and CS5. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> I'm confident it will all go onto a newer P3 as well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I’m not confident and you’ve yet to prove or answer the question addressed to you repeatedly and very specifically. But then I’m confident you can’t. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll gladly buy a P3 off of Craigslist just to do it and rub your nose in it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good, I’ll await your testing as requested. <br>

*LR version 3 as indicated by the URL of Minimum System Requirements I posted above: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/systemreqs/</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>I then <em>loaded</em> CS4 and LR2</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are we to understand the term <em>loaded</em> means you <strong>installed</strong> and actually <strong>launched</strong> the software? </p>

<p>Garrison said:<br>

<em>"When it was beta and free, for giggles I loaded and ran Windows 7 on a P2 with 256 megs of ram." </em></p>

<p>That's interesting. Microsoft specifies 1 GHz and 1 GB RAM as the minimum requirement for Windows 7. I think the fastest P2 processor was only 450 MHz.<br>

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx</a> </p>

<p>Google tells me that someone did manage to install Windows 7 on a <strong>P2 (266 MHz) with 96 MB RAM</strong>. Wonder whether he managed to run any apps too. According to PC World, boot time for Windows 7 can be as much as <strong>17 minutes on a P3 system</strong>. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.pcworld.com/article/166992/windows_7_hits_a_new_low.html">http://www.pcworld.com/article/166992/windows_7_hits_a_new_low.html</a><br>

<em>"Although he didn't say how long it took him to install or boot the operating system, other forum users have chimed in and timed the installation for a Pentium III-based system at a low 17 continuous hours. And the boot time? 17 minutes."</em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Microsoft specifies 1 GHz and 1 GB RAM as the minimum requirement for Windows 7</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the alternative universe Mr.K resides, that doesn’t matter. The minimum system requirements I posted were equally ignored due to this I’m sure. I did see something interesting in the quote you pasted: <em>"When it was beta and free, for giggles I <strong>loaded</strong> and <strong>ran</strong> Windows 7 on a P2 with 256 megs of ram."</em><br>

It does appear he uses the term loaded and ran as being different, begging the question I asked above. <strong>Loading</strong> an app on a system that a manufacturer says is not within the minimum requirements appears to be something he thinks is useful, <strong>running</strong> that application is apparently a different story. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm unsure if there's a point in your post, Songtsen?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I believe he’s asking you, as I have a simple question that you appear to wish to ignore. Are we to understand the term <em>loaded</em> means you <strong>installed</strong> and actually <strong>launched (RUN)</strong> the software? And to add further, run the software (CS5) and actually opening an image? What size? What functions (like applying a few filters) were you able to apply? </p>

<p>Oh Mr Grinch, it's Christmas. At the end of the day, it matters not that you're mistaken that using CS5 on a P3 is a possibility. What matters is, providing we can get back to my original comment of course, is that we mostly definitely can use CS5 on a PC of the same vintage as the PPC in discussion.</p>

<p>Happy Holidays.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> What matters is, providing we can get back to my original comment of course, is that we mostly definitely can use CS5 on a PC of the same vintage as the PPC in discussion.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> I have a simple question that you appear to wish to ignore. Confirmed again! </p>

<blockquote>

<p>At the end of the day, it matters not that you're mistaken that using CS5 on a P3 is a possibility.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Then <strong>prove</strong> that possibility or go away. It only matters because you said you could do it, that you seem to totally dismiss the Minimum System Requirements of several companies as if it were a severing suggestion. You said you bet you can do it, then said you'd go out and buy a P3 on Craigslist and rub my noise in the results, providing the ammo we need to see you don't even own the system to test your bet. In the odd universe you have developed inside your head, facts are unnecessary and ignored, questions asked of you are dismissed and ignored. At this point in the conversation (giving far too much credit to your posts here by using that word), and the due to the pointless introduction to this thread you posted, seems there is no reason to continue. Its not fair of my time and that of the poor readers here!</p>

<p>If and when you get a P3 and if and when you install and launch Photoshop CS5 it, and when you let us know if you can open an image (with some info about that image), the grownups here are going to have to dismiss your rants as either that of a delusional soul or compulsive lier. Or a small boy who has taken possession of his parents computer without their permission. </p>

<p>I apologize to the OP (who I tried to help) and others here who had to read through the hijacking of the post, started by an anonymous poster with an agenda. Lets get this back OT or move on. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Then <strong>prove</strong> that possibility or go away</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What is my motivation for lying to the good people of PN?</p>

<p>You already look foolish. Are you sure you want to continue down this path? I already said I'd find a P3 and do it. You don't need to keep talking to yourself in the meantime. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It only matters because you said you could do it, that you seem to totally dismiss the Minimum System Requirements of several companies...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"I" seem to dismiss? Wow. Considering your depth of knowledge about a couple niche topics in regards to color management, your ignorance in other areas is beyond astonishing. Remember, you also said Windows 7 couldn't be installed on P2 and P3's because of min system requirements. Maybe I was lying there as well, yet there's link to a forum full of people.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I already said I'd find a P3 and do it</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then do it! Enough said. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Remember, <strong>you</strong> also <strong>said</strong> Windows 7 couldn't be installed on P2 and P3's because of min system requirements.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>I never said that</strong>. What’s your native language? I’ll attempt to translate into it because you apparently are having difficultly with English. Please show us above, where I said <em>Windows 7 couldn't be installed on P2 and P3's because of min system requirements. </em>You already look foolish.</p>

<p>I know you’ll take your time Mr.K and I fully suspect you’ll blow the entire thing off, other than being proven wrong (your typical M.0.) Just like you dismissing my request for you to tell us (just minutes ago) to show us where I said something you say I wrote which I didn’t. <br />Try to read and comprehend this sentence: Please show us above, <strong>where I said</strong> <em>Windows 7 couldn't be installed on P2 and P3's because of min system requirements.</em> <br />Then there are the other important questions you conveniently ignore: <em>Yes or no, can you do this?</em><br />Or: <em>Are we to understand the term loaded means you installed and actually launched the software?</em><br>

<em></em><br />If I can’t get you to answer simple questions, what hope do we have that you’ll actually do as you promise and get that P3 at anytime in the future, get a copy of CS5 (which I suspect you don’t have) and prove me wrong. <br /><br /><br />OK, I’m done. We’ll await answers to questions posed and testing on equipment yet owned. This gives you the opportunity to get in the last word although I suspect it will have zero to do with any of the questions above. Its just not in your nature. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>...actually do as you promise and get that P3 at anytime in the future, get a copy of CS5 (which I suspect you don’t have) and prove me wrong.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I own CS5 Master Collection. But I'll attempt this little challenge with trial versions of PS and LR downloaded from the net. Nevertheless, if I do succeed? What's the wager? The loser stays of PN for a month?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll attempt this little challenge with trial versions of PS and LR downloaded from the net.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why that makes a difference is another of your mysteries since you say you own CS5 master. You know how to install Adobe Apps on multiple machines and handle activation and deactivation? That you bring this up is another red herring and area to place suspect upon. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nevertheless, if I do succeed? What's the wager? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right... first, find a way for a third party here to verify you can do it. Then we’ll talk wager (which was initially your idea: <em>I bet I can run CS5 on a P3). </em>And having you answer the numerous questions posed to you over and over again would be so refreshingly honest (something you’re not known for). Plus apologizing for writing I said something I didn’t (which you continue to ignore). With your history, you have a lot of <em>Chutzpah</em> to want to wager a bet when your antics are so unseemly! You actually expect me to believe you after all these posts without following the time honored “Trust by Verify” mantra? </p>

<p>The G5 Towers have lots of life left. Maybe you can't run latest CS5 etc. but you can run earlier versions and you can run scan software as well if you scan, you can do all the things you do, just use your older software. It can be more than just storage, still good computers. But the idea of donating them is pretty good to. There's a lot of places that could use them.</p>

<p>Using Barry’s suggestion for a scan station makes a lot of sense if you scan. Under 64-bit OS X, TWAIN is no longer, so if your scanner has such an interface, you’ll want a beefy machine for scanning and this would fit the bill. And if you have legacy software that will only run under OS9, this would be a good fit. That’s why I’m keeping my G4 around, there are occasional cases where I need to run OS9 and really old software. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Funny how this never comes up in the "Mac OS is so wonderful, Windows sucks"<br /> threads.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> <br /> Maybe it never comes up because the same thing exists for both OS's. Try<br /> running Windows 7 on a computer you purchased 10 years ago.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kevin, if you read the thread before posting, or used google, you'd know it's clearly possible. But running new Windows OS on old PC gear isn't what my comment or the thread is about. It's about what to do with an expensive 3 or 4 year old Mac that is now redundant for CS5 and wont be used. Right?</p>

<p> </p>