4x5 Lens on a budget

takahiro_suzuki

<p>I recently bought a 4x5 camera that came with a Komura 210mm lens. I know that lens will work OK, but I'm looking to add a 2nd lens (slightly wider) that won't run me too much money (being a student, I'm on a bit of a budget!). Does anyone on here know from experience any 4x5 lenses that are more on the cheap-o side, but still provide good sharpness and image quality?</p>

<p>I once had a 150mm Xenar 5.6 lens for my folding Nagaoka field camera. I specifically got it for its modest cost and compact size. I found it to be quite sharp, though it had a pretty limited image circle. I just saw one on eB** at around $350 though the auction had not yet concluded.</p>

<p>Takahiro, if you can order from KEH, I'd reccommend buying a 150mm plasmat, either a Fujinon, Rodenstock Sironar or a Schneider Symmar. Any of those shouldn't set you back more than $150 to $200. I've used all three and realistically speaking, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the negative between the three. Basically, any modern, reasonably good condition plasmat will work fine with minimal expense.</p>

<p>My most recent LF lens purchase was a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar in a Supermatic Shutter, $40 USD. I found another that I am looking into, a Kodak Wide Field Ektar 100mm f6.3 also in a Supermatic shutter. I think a lot of people equate Kodak with cheap cameras and don't consider that their older lenses are quite good.</p>

<p>Fujinon-W 135 or 150 lenses are well worth a look, too. There are two W-series, the multicoated lenses have the lettering on the outside of the front rim, while the single coated version is labeled inside the rim. However, the single coated version has a much bigger image circle (226 vs. 206mm).<br /> I bought a multicoated Fujinon-W 5.6/135 for some $200. The sharpness of the images blows me away (I used to have a Apo-Sironar-S 150 before, which is considered one of the sharpest lenses around, so I know what I'm talking about).<br /> G-Clarons offer outstanding image quality as well and can be used as close-up lenses and all-purpose lenses, if stopped down to at least f/22.<br /> Schneider Xenar lenses are Tessar designs: very sharp at the center, but relatively small image circles.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>There are many, many lenses available in the used market. What you want will depend on the focal length and the nature of your photography. If you are starting out with a 210 you may want to try something in the 150mm range or if wide angle interests you could look at some 90 mm lenses. I recommend buying used high quality lenses (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fujica, etc.) The critical issues to consider when buying used are twofold. First the condition of the elements. There must be no fog, good coatings, no separation of elements, but you'll discover that a small scratch or ding on an element only brings the price down- not the quality of your image. Secondly, it is important to consider the shutter. How old is it? Has it been recently cla'd? (clean lube and calibrate) The older shutters can be very inaccurate or stick. Often times you are looking at a beautiful German Compur shutter on older lenses. Beware it is difficult and sometimes impossible to get them repaired if they are not working properly. The Japanese copal shutters are a safer bet and much easier to work on. Good working used shutters are hard to find. This can be a minefield so try and find a lens with a shutter that works at all speeds. Hope this was some help.</p>

<p>I'd argue about the Compur shutter being a poor choice, in fact the reality is quite the opposite. Copal shutters were built as inexpensive alternative to the Compur. A Compur will likely outlast anybody on this board, with regular (every 10 or so years) maintenance. They tolerate cold and abuse as well as lack of maintenance far better than any Copal ever can.<br>

The only shutter that is more durable and reliable is the Compound, though few see them these days. Anybody who has ever owned a lens mounted in one holds onto it until he dies, typically.</p>

<p>Please be careful on your generalizations based on internet "truisms". A quick chat with an experienced repair tech would dispel your assertions, and I can provide the name of several should you need them.</p>

<p>if you don't mind old .. wollensak and ilex lenses can be found<br />in that relative focal length for not much money. <br />symmars and other old convertibles are nice because they <br />will give you more than one focal length, the downside is that<br />they can be in a problem-shutter, and/or that the converted focal length<br />image quality is sometimes not as "good" as the combined-element lens.<br>

good luck !</p>