Recommendations for second Nikon camera

<p>Much depends on the ultimate use for the images. For posting online, almost all point and shoot digitals do well. I've been reasonable sasified with 11x14 prints from 8mp pocket size digital cameras. They are far lighter and easier to carry than any DSLR. Even some of the inexpensive ones, like the discontinued Canon Sureshot A590 IS, offer manual control and the option of using 52mm filters. I prefer film, but too often sacrifice film quality for the convenience of a tiny digital camera. </p>

<p>I don't think you've provided quite enough info. jim makes a good point about printing, what's your final output / quality requirement?</p>

<p>Also, are there any specific lenses that you _have_ to be able to use? Are all of them AFS? I.E. can you use your lenses on a non-screw driven body like a D60 or a D3100? A D3100 with a 18-55 VR and 55-200VR would make a fairly light and flexible kit. An 18-200 VR <em>may </em>(heavy emphasis on 'may') work, but you'd need to be very aware of it's limitations. IMO, the lenses are a significant component of the weight, so this is a 'combination problem'.</p>

<p>Personally, I just picked up a Canon Powershot S95 for my 'super-light & carry everywhere' camera. Some of the m4/3 systems may also be a viable option. Have a look at: http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/ I think there are some excellent images there and it looks like a very capable kit.</p>

<p>Just my $0.02 :)</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<p>Bjorn</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

Get a D90 if you want similar quality images to your D2x. If you're on a budget, you can get the lighter D5000 or the

new D3100 (both shoot excellent quality images), but with those cheaper and lighter samaras, you will not have auto-

focus with D lenses. The new G lenses will work just fine though, and if you are already using a long zoom, like an

18-200 VR then the D3100 will work just fine for you. Try one! They're all over the place. I can tell you from

experience that the D5000 produces excellent images, even with old manual focus primes (I had an old 50 f1.8). My

D5000 was stolen though, and now I've moved to Sony (the A55).

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Nothing wrong with a D60 actually. I'm using one for probably more than half of my photos. This camera more often than not either has its kit lens (18-55 VR) or just aforementioned 50mm/1.8E in manual mode. I can't think of anything lighter yet equally capable in the DSLR field.</p>