Looking for camera club program

rdc1534

<p>I need to find a half hour to hour long program for camera club in about 6 weeks. <br>

Has anyone any ideas I am especially interested if any one can recommend a DVD to purchase to use.<br>

members run the range from just buying a camera to seasoned photographers and one lady who has been a club member since the 1950's<br>

any ideas would be appreciated</p>

<p>Galen Rowell video. I like the "Mountain Light" video. I don't think they sell it anymore. The website only lists a different one now, but I am sure it is good.</p>

<p>My club would only use a video as a last resort. Couldn't you make a presentation on your specialty?</p>

<p>Youtube and Vimeo have lots of great photography "how-tos" (David Ziser on weddings, portraits and Lightroom Tips for example) and product demos/reviews. Also the Canon Digital Learning Center has great info videos as well.<br>

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=HomePageAct<br>

Adobe and other vendors have instructional videos as well, Google is your friend!<br>

Just rent an LCD projector, connect your laptop (or iPad) and there you go.<br>

Maybe you should poll the club members on topics of interest to help you decide?<br>

Have fun!</p>

<p>Sir - People join camera clubs to LEARN! Maybe you could have a "bring in your equipment" night and have different members explain their equipment. The Nikon people would learn about Canon etc. and the film people can talk about the good old days (which are still with us, thank God.). Or, a critique night of your photos is good (but don't over do it).<br>

I have seen my camera club just use the critique route and it can get boring, month after month. You may also want a pro in your area to come in and talk, or perhaps a photo shop owner. All are usually willing to share their experiences. Good Luck.</p>

<p>If my 'photo collective' just ran canned programs, I don't think many of us would still attend.</p>

<p>People show off their latest shots and experiments, there are contests (with actual money prizes!), outside experts are sometimes brought in, actually pretty varied stuff, all of it pretty much generated by the members or real live people. One effort to show a canned program on the history of photography was not received well. Politely, but not well.</p>

<p>all he's asking is about a programm to fill 30-60 minutes. Bringing in someone from outside is a good idea but I would choose a good painter over a photographer anyday of the week. On the whole they deliver far better evaluations than a average photographer does because they don't care about technique but concentrate on what's presented instead. The last thing one wants is to talk about technique and gear. There is already way too much of that in most camera clubs/collectives. I know because I've been a member of some. Nowadays I judge contests there occassionally.<br>

That's why the Contacts series is so good. Not only they'll get to see the work of some truly great photographers but also how they edit their work, a lesson lost on a lot of people.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One effort to show a canned program on the history of photography was not received well. Politely, but not well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>got the same experience JDM but then, most members in camera clubs aren't that interested in photography to begin with.</p>

<p>because over here, and in my experience, camera clubs are social gatherings as much (or in some cases even more so) as photography orientated. Typically the average age is above fifty, the membership consists on average of 15-20 people most of whom are not really active. On the whole I would say that in most clubs only about 5 people are really interested and involved in photography beyond snapping away.</p>

<p>The first question one is most likely to get there is "what gear do you use" which says it all I think.</p>