How to use a sunpack flash on Nikon F100

matt_mitchell

<p>I have collected used kept and/or resold quite a number of old cameras Pentax, olympus, canon, Yashica and other but I finally picked up my first Nikon film camera, a F100 with 35-70mm 2.8d lens, fantastic condition for $150 and have a sunpack auto 422D flash (which is dedicated for my olympus OM2 and "all other hot shoe mount cameras") which shouldn´t cause any electrical damage from the research I have done. Anyway I do not know much about using a flash and am unsure what settings I need on the camera. If I select auto on the flash, the iso speed and the distance it gives me a f-stop to use. I can also select full 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/6. The camera fires the flash but what settings do I need to use on the camera when using the flash??? any info appreciated. I love the camera by the way and find it very user friendly after a bit of reading and experimenting with the settings.</p>

<p>While you can use the Sunpack on the F100, you got a teriffic deal on an outstanding camera and lens.</p>

<p>I suggest you go to KEH and purchase a Nikon SB-28 flash to go with the camera. The F100/SB-28 combination is pure "magic" (yes, I have and use that combination). It works very well with the 35-70 f/2.8D lens.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies, I would still like to use the Sunpack though to see how it goes before buying a sb-28 , I guess I would need to set the shutter speed manually to 250 and the aperture to the one indicated on the flash unit for the given distance? or would the F100 recognise the flash and set the speed automatically, there is no flash sign in the display when it is mounted.</p>

<p>The ready light and automatic flash sync shutter speed setting may only work with one of the Nikon speed lights. The manual indicates that 1/125 should be used with "optional" flash units. I second the recommendation of the previous post to get an SB-28 if you plan on doing a fair amount of flash photography. The TTL flash modes for balanced fill light etc. are well worth it.</p>

<p>I do not have any Sunpak shoe mount flash, but perhaps all Sunpak flashes automatic modes are programmed the same way, that is different than other flash brands programming methods, e.g. Vivitar.</p>

<p>Sunpak flash has the most logical way to program automatic mode. You do not need to select any color coded automatic range, etc.</p>

<p>Sunak flashes have two rotating dials, one for setting the flash ISO value, and the other for setting flash aperture value to be used the same on the lens. You can use any aperture that you like, and only maximum range of the automatic flash exposure will change, as shown on the dial type scale or calculator that is adjucent to the dial and always matches your settings, showing max automatic range.</p>

<p>So, first of all make sure you set the ISO value on the flash to the same value of your roll of film in the camera. (for DSLR you would need to turn Off Auto ISO). The ISO on the flash is done by one of the rotating dials.</p>

<p>Then rotate the other dial to select aperture value of your choice. Observe maximum range of auto exposure on the distance scale adjucent on the rotating dial. You could use any aperture that the flash will allow you to dial, but the max distance would be changing and showing as appropriate for each setting.</p>

<p>Stronger handle mount Sunpak flashes will allow you to select many apertures for automatic exposure. Perhaps smaller shoe mount could possibly limit angle of rotation of your aperture setting dial, at the point where the smaller power would make use of this aperture in automatic mode, unresonable.<br>

Then decide what aperture you intend to use on your lens, and set that value the same on the flash and the lens.<br>

Use Aperture priority automatic mode on your camera for proper ambient light exposure and watch if the shutter speed does not go faster than the max camera sync speed. You could use Manual camera exposure if you know how to, but make sure the aperture value on the lens always matches the aperture value on the flash and the shutter speed stays not faster than the max sync for flash.</p>

<p>If you have a camera with a pop-up flash built-in, perhaps you need to turn it off. Also you need to turn Off any Auto ISO for DSLR cameras that have this feature available. You will not get annoying pre-flash flashes that usually come with the modern iTTL flash exposure automation. Your flash output will be trimmed to proper value during exposure, no more closed eyes on portraits, etc.<br>

</p>

<p>From the link and instructions for your flash, perhaps there is no flash shoe attachment for Nikon F100. The flash is too old for your camera.<br>

The sliders are linear and not rotating on smaller Sunpak flashes. You should use Manual Power ratio on the flash, as in the instrutions from the link. </p>

<p >The Sunpak manual on the Butkus site (BTW I really appreciate that Butkus's site provides a unique & dearly needed service & regularly send a small donation.) I believe is an older edition, & mentions only the Nikon module “NE-1D”. This modules shown appear to be very similar to later Nikon modules, NE-2D; NE-3D; & NE-1AF although I don't know if the # of pins are the same & if they fit, I suspect they will work. But whether they provide full ittl, I don't know. I think the latest Nikon module is the NE – 1AF. I think it's possible that U can get some degree of automation w/ correct Nikon module if it will fit.</p>

<p >Good luck, JD</p>