2x extender III any recommendation yet

stephan_matthies

<p>I don't have experience with the model III extender, but typically the model II 2X gave poor results with anything less than the super-telephotos (300 2.8, 400 2.8, 500 4, 600 4). If you're using it specifically with the 100-400 it will certainly get you closer views, but you'll pay a price quality wise - not terrible, just noticible. I have the 100-400 and use it with the 1.4 tc and it gives OK results. You will loose AF with the 2X and 100-400 combination. </p>

<p>I haven't been looking, so I may have overlooked something, but I don't recall having seen any formal test results or user reviews of the III. For what it's worth, I'm sure you're aware that Canon claims its optics are a significant improvement over the earlier 2x models. Also, the optical performance of a lens+TC often improves at least somewhat if you stop down a bit; the problem here is that even wide open, you're at f/11 with an f/5.6 lens and a 2x TC, so stopping down to f/16 or f/22 may simply not be practical in many cases.</p>

<p>There is no change to the body's requirements for autofocus. Many EOS bodies require that the lens (or lens+TC combination) be f/5.6 or faster in order for AF to work. Some bodies have one or more autofocus points that will work with a lens (or lens+TC) as slow as f/8. No EOS body is designed to maintain autofocus with a lens any slower than f/8. With the two-stop loss of a 2x TC, you'll lose AF on most EOS bodies unless the lens (without the TC) is at least f/2.8, and no EOS body will retain autofocus if the lens (without the TC) is slower than f/4.</p>

<p>My scepticism is such that I doubt the ver III will be any improvement over the II for most lenses. I reckon the new teleconverters were introduced solely to work well with the newly-designed superteles introduced earlier in the year where the older TCs were not a good match. I think the end result will be unchanged when using the ver III with any of the original set of lenses for which the ver II was designed (i.e. 70-200mm IS f4).</p>
Robin Smith