bookings and the economy

barbara_lucas_wilson

<p>Is anyone else finding that inquiries and bookings are down from last year?<br>

2011 will be our 5th wedding season and it was building each year, more engagements, we had even branched out into some other kinds of portraiture. But this time last year I know that I had more inquiries and more bookings, we're low volume, so twice as many isn't like at a high volume place.<br>

I was thinking that it might be the economy and people just procrastinating. But I've also been checking the analytics for our website and it seems that we're having trouble getting people to our site. Even with all sorts of keywords, listings on Weddingwire, Yahoo local, Google local, and a site that lists local vendors. we also have reciprocal links with some other wedding vendors, a FB page and a blog(although the blog is new). Adwords has not helped, neither has FB ads. Any suggestions as to what we could do help? We do plan website redesign before the end of the year.<br>

Just wondering how everyone else was doing...<br>

TIA for any advice!</p>

<p>A good friend of mine had an 'in' at a venue. Without warning, she was replaced with "The Pros" and even though the feedback on the photos is bad, she hasn't received ANY calls for next year! This "Pro" group advertised photography for "starting at $895", and my friend charges about 2-3K. You get what you pay for! So, yes, to your question that bookings are down!</p>

<p>There are statistics out there about what is going on with weddings.</p>

<p>For example:</p>

<blockquote>

<p> there is currently an 8% decline in the total number of US weddings since 2005. Weddings in the United States have been decreasing on an average of 2% annually, with a 3% decline forecasted for 2010, and even worse in 2011. </p>

<p>According to The Wedding Report (TWR), the average amount spent on weddings hit a peak of $28,732 in 2007 and dropped 24 percent in 2008 to $21,814. In 2008, 50 percent of brides spent less than $14,352 for their entire wedding. In 2009, the average amount spent dropped another 10.2 percent to $19,581. (It has gone up slightly in 2010.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's more, I haven't seen anything specific to photography, but the data probably tracks. My sister is a wedding vendor (catering) and her business has been way off, so it certainly can't all be blamed on "Uncle Bobs."</p>

<p>Talking with local dj's - they are noticing it too as are bands... Seems to be part of the overall trend toward cohabitation and smaller weddings... I've had three or four inquiries about small 1-2 hour wedding shoots recently - as opposed to the bigger full day coverage types.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the average amount spent on weddings hit a peak of $28,732 in 2007 and dropped 24 percent in 2008 to $21,814. In 2008, 50 percent of brides spent less than $14,352 for their entire wedding.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow. That's a lot of money. I wouldn't want to spend any more than a few hundred!</p>

<p>You might check out the other thread about the business of wedding photography. To battle the bad economy, dwindling weddings, decreased wedding spending, increased competition and eroding customer expectations, one needs to hone one's offering to stand out from the crowd, which is extremely difficult among all the shouting being done by every other photographer on Facebook, online and among our fellow vendors.</p>

<p>About the only wedding photographers who report bookings up are ones who have a definite style <strong>and</strong> the personality (client experience) to go along with it. Otherwise, why would a bride or groom pay any more than the minimum amount for photography (or the experience) which indistinguishable from any other, given that they <strong>have</strong> any extra money to spend?</p>

<p>In 2008 I was booked by most couples at least a year in advance, and never had anyone ask about payment plans. These days I'm finding inquiries and bookings much closer to the wedding date, and many people ask about payment plans. They are also going for the smaller, cheaper packages. There are more photographers to compete with, and I think people are a lot more concerned about running up credit card debt. I've also read many articles recently about how the number of marriages has declined. People are just moving in together, and putting their wedding budget towards buying a house. </p>

<p>THere are a ton of poeple out ther with digital SLR< that have BEEN to a few weddings and taken a few pictures that are not WEDDING photographers. Look on Craigs List. SHoot and dump weddings 350.00 to 500.00. Budgets are tight and a lot of couples feel that any picture is better than no pictures. My ,market here in the NE Ohio area is really tough.. The last 3 years by this tiee I had at leas 6 weddings booked for next year. This year I ahve 1, and it is fomr a referral.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But this time last year I know that I had more inquiries and more bookings</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How many more inquiries and bookings did you have on this date last year? From your post, it sounds like you're making an <em>educated guess</em>. You can't go backwards, but going forward, keep accurate statistics and either keep something by your phone that you transfer into a spreadsheet or enter it into a spreadsheet in real time. Also make sure you find out where each referral came from and how many days before the wedding did they book.<br>

All too often, important decisions are made by <em>feel</em> rather than by actual statistics. You may or may not be doing as poorly as you're guessing.</p>

<p>Mine are slightly down but I also have people paying more. So its a wash. But as of late I will admit I do see Brides want the world for nothing. They want 10 + hours a album 2 family albums and a engagement session for under 2K Oh yea and full rights to the pictures. So its getting tough in a way</p>