My answer to an ongoing comment...

exposed1

<p>I find his comment symptomatic of the mistaken assumption that photography is about cameras - film or digital - and equipment in general. If the belief is that the quality of your images is driven by a purchasing decision and a piece of hardware, what is that saying about your craft, technique and creativity? How does that reflect on your skills regarding composition, lighting, styling, model direction, timing, impact, use of color (or not), emotion and mood?</p>

<p>I have never finished a great book and wondered what word processor it was written on. Tools support content - it is a given that you need the tools that do not limit you creatively or technically, after that it's up to you to produce the content. The tools can only help make it easier and more efficient. A word processor can format a manuscript, check spelling and inform on word count, etc. A camera can get an image focused and exposed properly. If these are the criteria by which we judge books and images then something has gone horribly wrong. </p>

<p>I am not arguing against good equipment any more than a writer would choose a quill pen over a word processor. However, the choice of word processor will not make the book more interesting and a camera will not help you choose what to shoot and how exactly to approach shooting it.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic