Small issue with Minolta SRT-101

juan_c.

<p>Hi<br>

I have an SRT 101 that I LOOOOOOVE!! Probably one of the best cameras I have used in forever. Anyway, a few days ago I dropped her:o( This is all the damage it suffered:<br>

--small dent (thing is built like a tank!!); gives the camera character, lol<br>

--bent filter on lens (58mm 1.4, my fave lens); easily replaced<br>

--viewfinder is full of what seems like some kind of flakes (they do kinda move sometimes)<br>

--while the camera still meters, in the Vf where you see the arrow with the selected shutter speed, you can only see the selector needle point to the speeds between 1 and 30. If you move the shutter speed knob on anything past 1/60, the needle doesn't move. <br>

Anyway, the biggest problem to me is the junk in the viewfinder. It does make it a little hard to focus when you have some large chunks of....stuff in there. Is there any way to easily remove the viewfinder? Or at least remove the focusing screen so I can clean that out from that angle? Also, if you have any suggestions for the shutter speed thing, I'd love to hear them. <br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Sounds like you broke pieces off of the prism and damaged the meter needles. You'll have to pull the top cover off to find out the extent of the damage. Not looking at a camera right now, but if I remember correctly - 2 screws on the back of the top cover or the ends, remove rewind knob (use a screwdriver in the fork of the film spindle and unscrew the knob), pointed spanner to remove shutter speed knob assembly and advance lever. Careful of the flash shoe wires when pulling the cover. There will be a cover over the prism and some wires, I think. If you broke the prism, I'd just find a new 101 to replace it. They're inexpensive enough. Or upgrade to a 201 or 202.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That sounds like a lot of damage. Get a new one and save the old for parts. The 101 is a very exciting camera, and well worth replacing--especially considering what they go for now. For an upgrade, I like the 202 that John recommended and also the SRT 102. They have the same magic with a few more features. They all have excellent meters and great vf screens and that je ne sais quois that makes you want to run out and take a lot of pictures. </p>

<p>probably the canada balsam cement holding the cds prism holders has broken loose & has dirtied up the finder. To find out more about this, go to <a href="http://www.twid.de/X700">www.twid.de/X700</a>. Look for the SRT info. Another source of DIY help would Tomosy's 1st camera repair book. There are pitfalls to avoid when removing the top so as to eliminate probs w/the metering system.</p>

<p>Well, I took it apart since I found a piece of foam in front of the metering needle. Figured it was dead, so let's poke around. Don had it right--that balsam and paint on the prism broke off and the CDs cells detached. Cleaned out the viewfinder really well (cleaner than when I got it!). Meter still operative, however. The only issue now is the string that controls the match needle (the one with the circle), came loose, and I'm trying to put it back together. I do have my eye on an SRT 102, but i figured no harm on getting this one running again :o) <br>

I wouldnt mind getting a new one, but getting something from ebay has its own risks, and the only local one is in far worse shape. This one I found for $20 at an antique mall, so I was able to test everything before I bought it. <br>

And yes, the SRT 101 is just a pure delight!! I have been enjoying it more than my Nikon D40/55mm 1.2.....</p>

<p>If theres a knot in the end of the string thats loose, then it fits into a slot in the diafram metering ring located under the lens mt. 1 problem w/this ring is that over time it tends to gunk up & get sticky. Removing & cleaning it w/lighter fluid cures the problem. W/o seeing, this is only a guess. If theres more to it than that, then the strings have to be "timed" using certain settings (asa , shutter spd etc. ) to get the metering system to work properly. I've done a couple & its not hard but takes some time. You need to know how to time the strings & I cant think of a place on the net that can give you that info. Maybe someone here knows of a site. Before removing the top, use the highest asa setting & "B" to relieve the tension on the metering pulleys.</p>