Canon Thursday Pic 2010: #16

nathangardner

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>My first attempt at night photography. The Training Ship Golden Bear at the California Maritime Academy. The I-80 / Carquinez bridge in the background.<br /><a title="IMG_0282 by fzx_is_phun, on Flickr" href=" IMG_0282 src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5044/5239852511_9b9269fff7_z.jpg" alt="IMG_0282" width="640" height="426" /></a><br />Xti with a Tamron 28-75 lens</p>

<p>[Reposted image smaller, as requested. Sorry I read "keep under700 wide" but I did not read "high"]</p>

<p>. . . no snow down here.<br />Yesterday I shot a Christmas Party and Prize Giving for a Swimming Club.<br />This "Big Kid" won the Guessing Competition for the number of Lollies in the Jar . . . and he was very popular:</p>

<div>00XpVC-309969684.jpg.633cc13502985faf93910cdf2740961f.jpg</div>

<p>7D, Canon FD 100mm f/2 wide open with glassless converter, iso800<br /> Yes, FD on EOS, the original sin. Yes people, you can use them together to good effect despite what some misguided though well meaning forum members tell you. Sadly, all you'll hear is about is the limitations, never the potential. Experiment!</p><div>00XpVr-309985584.jpg.c3873a6cb538b893e7f0e2fa8ead3c9e.jpg</div>

<p>A shot from the annual function at my daughter's school. I only wish that I had tried a few shots at a higher ISO (800, 1600) to freeze the motion completely! (Canon 40D, Canon EF 100mm/f2, 1/125, f2, ISO 400). <a title="CCA101204_58 by pksswat (Praveen), on Flickr" href=" src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5010/5233176433_1e5ac468c1_z.jpg" alt="CCA101204_58" width="640" height="427" /></a></p>

<p>Julie, the lens was definitely a big help. The lighting was powerful enough that, if fully on, I wouldn't have had any under-exposures at ISO 400 and f2. As it was during dance numbers like this, the lights were going wild, with different colors flashing on and off. Fortunately, my daughter's number was towards the end and I had a chance to take plenty of test shots to determine that the only way I was going get any decent shots at all was to put it on manual (125/f2) and shoot machine-gun style and hope that at least one of the shots would be with lights bright enough. Even then I had to pull up most of the shots in DPP by 1 to 1.5 stops. This particular image, I pulled up by 1.16 stops and shadow detail another two points, however many stops that is. I should have shot at ISO 800! I think the 40D is good enough at ISO 800; by my standards, at least.</p>

<p>Richard,<br>

First of all I'd like to say, great shot of the woodpecker. But I do have to tell you that I'm now mad at you, or maybe it's really jealousy. I have spent probably over 40 or 50 hours trying to shoot pileated woodpeckers over the last 6 months. I have gone to the local forest, where they are quite abundant, all decked out in camo and sat still for hours at a time trying to get a shot of a pileated woodpecker and I am still empty handed. The fact that they are incredibly skittish makes it near impossible to shoot them. Even in full camo, if I turn my body a quarter of a turn to point my camera their way, they somehow see it, and they're gone. The fact that you took a "quick walk" through the park and came home with that shot is amazing. Great job.</p>

<p>Nathan, I feel your pain. My experience with this species has been the same as yours... until that day in that park. It gets worse.... My wife Karen was the one who called me over.... says in a normal voice... "Richard... come over here.. there's one in the tree right here"<br>

I walked over to where she was watching bird. The bird ignored me as I was moving about in plain sight to try and get the right angle.</p>

<p>Go figure. </p>