Vito B viewfinder project

<p>I have been looking at Voigtlander Vito B cameras in part because the large viewfinder versions appeared to be good for spectacle wearers (like me!). First of all I acquired a Vito BR. Superb camera to handle! A bit heavy but you soon get used to it. The viewfinder is indeed good for spectacle wearers although I did find that the (rangefinder) optical components in the viewfinder sometimes produced distracting reflections when the camera faced a light source. I therefore next purchased a Vito B (large viewfinder). Very, very clear viewfinder. Could I get away with scale focussing? I took some photos of a couple of identical subjects at different distances from the camera (e.g. 2.0 and 2.1m). At f8 with one in focus, the other started to become out-of-focus for a difference of 0.1m. Interestingly, the depth-of-field scale on the lens barrel gives 2.8 and 1.55m (when the focus is set to 2.0m) i.e. out-of focus is noticeable at roughly 10-20% of the depth-of-field given on the lens barrel! So anyway I convinced myself I needed a rangefinder. Frustratingly, the (Voigtlander) rangefinder I purchased seemed to get in the way of my glasses, particularly when I used the camera in portrait mode. The problem was that the viewfinder and the rangefinder are not 'in line' so the rangefinder tends to get in the way. I therefore next purchased a small viewfinder Vito B and a Kontur. Fantastic for spectacle wearers but how to fit the rangefinder? There are double accessory shoes but they are rare, extremely expensive and not tailored for the Vito B. I therefore purchased a couple of clip-on accessory shoes and removed the clip-on bit. Then I made a double accessory shoe holder from some 2mm thick aluminium sheet, using a hacksaw and a file to fabricate the 3 plates. The critical one is the middle plate because it has to be a snug fit in the Vito B accessory shoe, to provide the alignment. The plates are held together with tapped screws. You can see from the photo that the Kontur and the rangefinder are 'in line'. It works brilliantly! The rewind knob can be used with the accessory in place (just!). So I've kept the Vito BR and the Vito B (small viewfinder+ accessory). I'm getting the impression that the Vito B 50mm f3.5 lens is better than the Vito BR 50mm f2.8 lens. The Vito B seems better at f4 and f5.6, and in general towards towards the edges. Both are superb by f11. My benchmark is always my Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8 at f8. The f3.5 lens in particular performs well against my benchmark. I was quite impressed! </p><div>00Xoq5-309485584.jpg.e8fa04afee73d31f8d0989a7d43c5c5b.jpg</div>

Cool! You really wanted to make this work! I hope your good results are a just reward for your impressive effort!

I have the Vito B with the larger vewfinder and I must say it'S a delight to use, although I must say the earlier smaller finder

is toy my taste more esthetically pleasing. I plan on getting one of these earlier versions. I use reading glasses and I typically use glasses to read lens settings and set shutter speeds. I generally remove the glasses when looking through the viewfinder. The finder on my other Voigtlaender is acceptable and has an RF. I don't feel lost without an RF, but I may also simply accept my own failure rate when it comes to focus! Maybe I need spectacles for distance too!!

<p>I have a Vito B with small finder and a Vitomatic II with large finder. I prefer the Vito B despite it being an f3.5 compared to the f2.8 of the Vitomatic II and I like the smaller profile due to the lower top housing (Vito B has no rangefinder or meter).</p>

<p>These cameras are great and can often be bought for little money as many e-bay sellers do not realise that they need a film in place to cock the shutter so often list them as 'shutter not working'.</p>

<p>The first Vitomatics were all the desirable features of the various Vito's, in one camera (i.e. rangefinder, 1:1 brightline viewfinder and metering). The early Vitomatics and the Vito's had the same chassis. The 1:1 viewfinder can be used with both eyes open but I find it doesn't work so well. There's something distracting about it. The Kontur really does work, at least for me. With both these viewfinders I think maybe it depends on the individual (right-or-left dominant eye etc. etc.)...but for me the Kontur works with either eye. I've found the best way for me to use the Kontur is to look at the scene and then slip the Kontur in the way. I definitely get the impression that I'm looking at a scene and then just applying the framelines to it.<br>

Many thanks for all your comments. Now comes the best bit: actually going out and taking some pictures! </p>