Windows 7 Download Advice Needed

<p>I just purchased Windows 7 64 Bit to replace my Vista 64 OS. I have never replaced an operating system before and would like to ask for advice on how to do it. Should I un-install Vista 64 first or just insert the Windows 7 disk? Also, is there any advantage to removing Lightroom and Photoshop prior to installing the new OS and then re-installing them?</p>

<p>I'm not good with computers and all advice is very welcome.</p>

<p>Thanks, Doug</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Did you buy a full version or an upgrade? Did you open the package yet? Doing a full install would require you to back up all of your data (which you should do anyway), reformat the drive (Windows will do as part of the installation) and reload all of your software and your data files. Very time consuming. When you put the disc in, it should give you a choice. Upgrading is not bad usually. I've never done a Vista to 7 upgrade, but in general, Microsoft is pretty good about their upgrades.</p>

<p>It is possible to simply upgrade Windows Vista without first removing it, keeping most of your old software (not all). It is better to do a clean install on a new hard drive, then reinstall your applications. It is also a splendid opportunity to install a larger drive, free from all the junk you pick up over the years. None of your old drivers will work in Win7, so you have a lot of installation to do anyway.</p>

<p>If you purchased a Win7 upgrade, it is perfectly legal to install it on a new drive, assuming you have a valid license for Vista (i.e., it is a legal or OEM copy). There's some tricks to the installation, which you can find with a simple Google search.</p>

<p>You have 30 days to use Adobe Photoshop and whatever before you must activate it. That gives you time to shake out the new system before you deactivate the old installation. If you run into trouble, simply remove the new hard drive and replace it with your old, Vista drive (another good reason to do a clean install).</p>

<p>Rich and Edward:</p>

<p>Hi guys, thanks for the quick response. </p>

<p>I have legal full versions, on disk, of Windows 7, Lightroom3 and CS5. Vista too is leagal. </p>

<p>My OS is located on my primary C drive along with Lightroom and CS5. My photos are kept in two locations, an external hard drive and the new internal drive. </p>

<p>When adding the new internal drive I cleaned up a lot of junk that was on my primary drive.   </p>

<p>The thought of moving / removing all of the applications and stuff on my C Drive, formating it, and then putting the new OS and all of the applications backs sounds daunting. When I ordered the Windows 7 disk, I just assumed that all I had to do was put it in and my OS would automatically update. Given what you have said, I think that is still an aoption. am I correct?</p>

<p>Again, Thanks, D</p>