Need Dev Times for Kodak Panatomic X ISO 32 (PAN X 32)

shoo

Hello,

I have some old rolls of Kodak's PanX 32 that I would like to try

out.

Since it has been discontinued, can anyone help me find the

development times for it?

I would be using D76 1:1 or HC110 Dilution B.

Thanks

I don't want to throw cold water on your parade, but I used Panatomic-X for many years, and in my opinion, Ilford Pan F+ is far superior. There is always a lot of romanticism and folklore surrounding discontinued products. But since the film is seriously outdated, I would pass if I were you.

Scott, Pan F+ is not a T-Grain (or Delta grain) film, so I do not understand your analogy between Delta 400 and Tri-X. Pan F+ is much better than the old Pan F was. I would venture a guess that I have shot more Panatomic-X than anyone who regularly posts on this forum, and in comparison to my newer Pan F+ negatives, my Panatomic-X negatives are somewhat thin are lifeless (both in Rodinal, various dilutions). I really get tired of people who worship discontinued products that they pretty much ignored when available.

I recently found two rolls of Panatomic-X in my freezer, so I checked the data sheet. Times at 68 degrees are: D-76 (1:1)= 7 minutes, HC-110 (Dilution B) = 4min 15 sec. Agitation should be at 30 sec intervals. Why all the animosity, Guys?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The reason I am tryin this is because someone gave me a couple rolls. I usually shoot with PlusX,TMax100, or TMax400 or equivalents, so I wanted to see how this turned out.

I will be using a fresh roll of Pan F+ soon......so I know that will be good.

Just for the record, Panatomic-X was discontinued in 1987 when T-Max 100 was introduced. There is an aerial film, Panatomic-X Aerographic film 2412, available in 9-1/2" long rolls, but I don't know if it is the same emulsion (probably not.) Polaroid T-55 could be similar to Pan-X... someone should do some research. Hope your Pan-X looks good!

I used to use 35mm PanX for portrait work all the time. Developed in Microdol X undiluted it gave the smoothest grain I've ever seen from a 35mm neg. I don't recall the dev times I used to use, that was so long ago. I've always said that Pan X is the only reason Microdol X was ever invented.

I use Panatomic Aerecon II film #3412 rated at 40 ASA and developed in pyro-triethonalomine? for 4.5 min. @ 68-F after a 5 min. water soak. It works good with other pyro developers. The thickness is 2.5/3 mil and printing times are noticably shorter and it has extended red sensitivity which helps with portraiture. Pat