Camera armour on D700 to reduce shutter noise?

brad_chalmers

<p>Just curious if other Nikon D700 users who have used silicone camera armour on their D700 bodies have found that it helps to soften the loud 'clunk' shutter click noise? I've received quite a few complaints from audience members while taking photographs of a couple of stage performances, and don't wish to use a blimp if I can help it (or try to wrap a shirt or some such around the camera body).<br>

Would be very appreciative of any feedback on how effective silicone camera armour may be in helping to reduce noise coming from the camera body.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p>Much as I love my D700, this sounds (no pun intended) like a job for an entirely other camera to me Brad. I have a little "bridge" type camera that is almost completely silent, and is what I choose to use when shutter noise would be obtrusive. Actually I'm surprised that the theatre management haven't had words with you too!</p>

<p>Neither the D3 nor the D700 is quiet, but the newer D3S has a quiet mode that works quite well; the D300S also has that mode. However, the most quiet Nikon DSLR I have tested so far is the D7000. Even in the regular mode, it is very quiet, but it also has the quiet mode that further dampens the mirror slap sound. Clealy Nikon has been improving things in that area. Unfortunately, that will not help if you are using the D700.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice received so far.<br>

Shun, the D3S is $5,000 local dollars on Ebay, I can't afford anything like that at this stage. The D700 performs amazingly well against the D300 I had up until a few weeks ago, and most of the performances I've taken photos at have been in very low light, hence acquiring the D700. I rarely shoot above ISO6400 though - would the D7000 be a possibly solution, in terms of a quieter shutter click with similar low light performance up until ISO 3600?<br>

No-one has addressed if camera armour makes any difference to the shutter click noise, would be very appreciative on advice on this. Even if the armour reduced the noise by 1/3, this would be very handy.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p>Brad, I suspect that the camera armour isn't going to make any difference to emitted shutter noise, not even a little bit.</p>

<p>There is really no way around a well made blimp; it's not the amount of measured noise reduction (in dB) that counts, rather the perceived reduction in the environment you're shooting in - any noise heard at all by the audience will be offensive during a quiet stage (or musical) performance.</p>

<p>Fortunately it's not a difficult DIY job if you're marginally handy with simple tools. Here's one made from a Pelican case with sample sounds of before/after:<br>

[<a href="http://photographylot.blogspot.com/2010/02/diy-sound-blimp.html">Link</a>]</p>

<p>Sorry, I have no experience with camera armour.</p>

<p>With the D7000, you should be able to get high ISO results somewhere between the D300 and D700/D3. I have all three cameras and have done some side-by-side tests, but I need to run more tests to be conclusive. Essentially the D7000 becomes a little better than the D300 around ISO 800 to 1600, especially in the shadows. The D300 tops @ 3200 but the D7000 has the extra 6400 that is respectable. However, the D700 is still better and of course the D3S is best among all Nikon DSLRs.</p>

<p>Brad, I also use a D700 for live performances. Great high-ISO performance, but loud.</p>

<p>The best solution I have found so far is the Camera Muzzle (www.adorama.com/CZM.html). It reduces, but does not eliminate sound. It also makes the camera much harder to use. However, it provides enough noise reduction that I can shoot in situations where I wouldn't dare before.</p>

<p>If you're getting "quite a few complaints," perhaps you shouldn't be shooting.</p>

• 10 months later...

<blockquote>

<p>If you're getting "quite a few complaints," perhaps you shouldn't be shooting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. I have a d700 that I regularly use at several theatres. I have never received any complaints, nor have the people hiring me. I would not even think about doing it without the soft blimp, no matter how loud the performance is, as the d700 is indeed a very loud camera.<br>

so, a couple suggestions to you. Use a Blimp! try talking to the guys at light/sound booths, they might let you in for a couple of shots. if possible - try to move around (exiting the hall and entering through another door, not walking in front of people or between the rows). wait for louder parts. go to the rehearsals, so that you know what and where to expect at the actual performance. always be nice to people around you. Never shoot the performance in a way you'd shoot a sports event with roaring crows around. dress properly... may sound stupid but it also adds to the way people accept you.<br>

the blimp that i use https://www.isarfoto.com/cms.php/_pid:26389,l:271,pp:0,ps:az/en/0/Produkt.html<br>

of course, it is not a convenient thing, and it does not eliminate the sound, yet, using it in combination with the above suggestions should reduce the number of complaints you are getting. People pay money for those performances and they have every right to watch them without being disturbed by some photographer. </p>

<p> </p>