Jammed Autoreflex T3 shutter

ridinhome

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I won an Autoreflex T3 on shopgoodwill recently which I won along with a 50mm 1.4 and Vivitar 80-205 f3.8. Unfortunately the shutter is jammed. The wind lever advanced but the shutter won't release and now the shutter is cocked so I can't wind again. Anyone had any experience with this? I Googled and came across a similar question posed by Bob Atkins a few years ago, but there was no solution. </p>

<p>It's tragic because I also got the 40mm 1.8 delivered from KEH today and was looking forward to a Thanksgiving filled with Hexanon.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Kayam</p>

<p>If you do a google search of Konica Camera repair - I believe there are a couple of Konica experts that might be able to help. </p>

<p>I had that happen on a T4 years ago - but can't remember what exactly I did to fix it... something with the timer seems to ring a bell but don't quote me. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Kayam, it would be cheaper to go out and find another T3 body than to invest in a CLA, IMHO.<br>

This year has been unlucky for me in regards to acquiring working Konica bodies. I played around with three T3's , all of which eventually jammed after a minimum of 7 rolls. I was hoping to have at least one super-clean working camera for the growing collection of Hexanon's , but it'll have to wait until one comes up in another estate sale; I've given up actively searching for Konicas for now (too many German goodies to play with this winter).<br>

I was able to un-jam one by removing the bottom plate and gently nudging a stuck lever while holding back a small pawl. This worked for a short time until it got stuck again.</p>

<p>Looking back on my old thread from this past Spring, I see another memeber, Robert P., has chimed in a bit later ... go to end of this thread : <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00WD1Q?start=10">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00WD1Q?start=10</a><br>

Maybe he's on to something ?<br>

You still have time to look through craigs and get a cheap Konica before Turkey day, Kayam.</p>

<p>Thanks all! </p>

<p>David - I'll drop Greg Weber a line to see how much he charges for a CLA, but I fear Gabor is right, might not be worth it.</p>

<p>Jim - Yeah I tried that. Doesn't seem to do anything.</p>

<p>Gabor - I agree with you about it not being worth it. Fortunately Adorama has a working T3 for $45, and they are a couple of blocks from my office, so the situation may not be lost...</p>

<p>Hi Kayam! will you check if the mirror is stuck in the upward position? If that is the case, it is some common problem that happens in Konicas, Praktica Ls and the Pentax SPs. You may have to wiggle a small lever just under the mirror and it will release the mirror. This is located on the left wall [looking in from the lens-side with the camera upright after removing the lens] of the mirror chamber. When the mirror drops down you should be able to release the shutter. <strong>Tomosy</strong> has written about in detail in his Book One. I have also experienced it in my Praktica LLC. It has some thing to do with the friction build up or a slack mirror return spring in the sequence of operations. I hope it is that simple. All the best, sp.</p>

<p>Kayam, Subbarayan may have solved your problem. When our family camera shop sold Konicas I remember performing this same procedure on 2 or 3 jammed Konicas that were brought in many years after they were sold. If not, a CLA may be worthwhile if the camera is in exceptionally fine condition, but otherwise picking up another one may be cheaper. Hope you can get it working.</p>

<p>SP, Mike - no, unfortunately the mirror isn't stuck upward. I read somewhere on the internet that it could be a problem with the on-off switch which also locks the shutter release for B mode. The shutter button feels like it's not going all the way down, as it does when I turn the switch to off.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you plan to shoot anything important with the camera it would be better to have it overhauled by Greg Weber than to buy another one in unknown condition. An overhaul will include adjustment of shutter speeds, adjustment of the meter, a switch to 1.5 volt batteries if you like, new seals etc.</p>

<p>Now I remember - my T4 was locked due to the self timer being set in "blub" mode and then not quite completing the self timer cycle. </p>

<p>I believe I had to jiggle the self timer a couple of times and maybe even completely cycle it to get it to "take" and release the shutter.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>For some reason this is often a problem with this model. But often I have purchased one and gently played with the levers in the mount while holding the shutter button down. This mount is rather complex as there is much movement just inside the mount. I'll bet that there is a slight gum-up of the levers. What I would do is try to gently jiggle these levers (stop down and the one on the side, just inside the mount). If you do get it to fire, then squirt a little lighter fluid to loosen things up (and let the blackened fluid pour back out into a cup). Be CERTAIN not to get any on the prism. - David Lyga</p>

<p>Thanks David. I tried it. The stop down mechanism was jammed so I got that working, but the shutter still won't fire. :-(</p>

<p>Found an Autoreflex TC for $45 + 50mm 1.7 so I might pick that up.</p>

<p>Adorama had an original Auto Reflex (the half-frame one) but they refused to sell. Can't say I blame them. They also had a black QL17 GIII, which they also refused to sell.</p>

<p>Helen - I just sent you a mail. I might have misspoken - I was referring to the items in the display case in the Used section towards the front of the store. Had a nice chat with the guy there, he said all the items in the display case were for only shown as talking pieces and were not for sale. There was some great stuff there, though. Aside from the Canonet and the Auto Reflex there was a couple of Canon 7s, Leicas etc.</p>