Tripod support/holder question.

j_w13

<p>Does anybody make a tripod holder that hangs from your belt? If I have three hands it wouldn't be a problem, but placing the tripod down every time I take a hand-held shot is getting old. I don't like attaching to a backpack, because I want to have quick access to the tripod when I need it.</p>

<p>Depending on your tripod, you might have a loop or some attachment point on it already. My Manfrotto has a little loop... I assume for attaching heavy stuff to stabilise it. You could attach a carabiner on that and attach that to your belt but as Hosteen said, that sure sounds like a painful way to travel. What sort of a holder are you imagining?</p>

<p>If you really want to do this, you might consider a tripod bag such as <a href="http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_medium_tripod_bag/rm2152"><strong>this one</strong></a> from Calumet. The strap that ordinarily hangs from your shoulder can hang from your belt, and the bag will provide a little padding to protect your leg from the tripod. In the bag in the link and most others, the shoulder strap is attached to the bag with at least one end close to the top of the bag, making it simple to insert and remove the tripod, like a sword in a scabbard. It still seems like a very uncomfortable thing.</p>

<p>An alternative would be a tripod, such as some of the Manfrottos, that makes setting up and collapsing very quick. It would just take a moment to put your tripod on the ground but on its legs, so you go about your hand-held shooting.</p>

<p>Tripods are naturally top heavy. If you attempt to fasten a strap to the top and bottom, the tripod invariably heads south. If the strap slips off the leg, the tripod crashed headfirst into the ground. At very least, you are constantly making adjustments to it.</p>

<p>The most stable solution is a backpack or sling in which the tripod is securely fastenend. Unfortunately, that's where it tends to stay, even if you need it. It's a lot of bother to stop and unfasten it. If your tripod is small enough to fit inside a bag, or strapped to a shoulder bag, it probably isn't big enough to do the job.</p>

<p>A practical solution is to attach an ordinary camera strap (e.g., Op-Tech) with loops or straps to the top of the legs and carry it by the strap under one arm. That frees up your hands, is easy to deploy, and keeps the head upright and safe.</p>