Canon Thursday Pic 2010: #13

nathangardner

<p>This Wednesday kinda rolled gently into Thursday, and slipped into Friday, before I fully realised it. Anyway, here is something from Wedneday. There is a city wide London Jazz Festival happening all around town at the moment. This is pianist /composer Janette Mason at one of the gigs I managed to catch.</p><div>00Xi2x-303717584.jpg.afab38f15ede022112ab9ca1c73f47e7.jpg</div>

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Day-after shot of groundbreaking for George W. Bush Presidential Center, Dallas, TX. Intersection of SMU (Southern Methodist University) Blvd. and Boedeker just about straight-ahead fo front entrance of 225,000 square foot structure due completion by February 2013. Cost $137 million, all from private funds.</p><div>00XiCH-303845584.jpg.96cea37cd231b89adf84081a8420fe6e.jpg</div>

<p>Canon 40D, ISO 3200, F/2, 1/50sec, 50mm, This is the Bass Player from The Dirty Jersey Band from tonight's shoot at a gig outside of Princeton, NJ. Really low light, great lens and camera, pushing the limits of the 40D using no flash. Very happy with results of this shoot.</p><div>00XiMZ-303979584.jpg.5a56493be044afacacb729cb8965061d.jpg</div>
Cheers, Mark

<p>@Mark Kissel, when I saw your comment, I thought, I guess Mark doesn't like pretty little flowers. Then I looked at your gallery! Wow! While I didn't look at every image, those I did view looked simply wonderful! Composition, sharpness, detail, and color contrast in general are excellent (at least to my eye). You are certainly putting your L glass to good use. I can see why my photo just barely passes muster!</p>

<p>Praveen, thanks for the kind words, my friend. And I think you misunderstood, or I just poorly stated it, but your flower shot was great! What I meant was anyone that goes to that much trouble deserves to get the good shot that you did! Nice work.</p>

<p>There were lots of excellent images this time. So much so, it makes it harder and harder to find those that stand out. A few more that I should mention...</p>

<p>James Dean - Like the swimmer shot. Caught just at the right moment.<br>

Indy Nandrajog - Great pose from your niece.<br>

Mike Stemberg - Your choice of b&w really works on this shot.<br>

Mark Keefer - Nice and clean for ISO 3200.</p>

<p>And if I didn't mention you this time around...there's next week. Make me notice. Ken Papai, I'm not taking over your job, just giving you a break this week. ;-)</p>

<p>Here's one of the Sandhill Cranes at Jasper-Pulaski Wildlife Preserve in Central Indiana. I went a little late this year; had I gone a month earlier there would likely have been over 10,000 birds to photograph, as this is one of their main places to gather before the final push to migrate south for the winter, but I had to wait until I was able to replace my 100-400 lens, which I just did a couple of weeks ago. As it was there were only about 500-1000 birds so there wasn't the usual excitement and variety of formations to watch. Still, watching them fly at all is pretty amazing since they're such large birds and it's always a challenge to try to capture their grace in flight.</p><div>00XiwP-304501684.jpg.102aaf9736c5cbc78fb56e8063f18cb1.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, I had understood that you were patting my back for the effort. But I did get the feeling that perhaps the photo wasn't upto the standard. I had hesitated myself before posting it in this forum. But I had nothing else to submit! In any case, thanks for the appreciation.</p>

<p>Thanks Lupo.</p>

<p>Robin, if we were in Ashton Kucher's arms, as the Nikons are, we would live in a permanent summer of love. But in all seriousness, it's not really a competition. Okay maybe a friendly competition, but nothing serious. I just thought it would give some playful motivation for Canon users to post their photos.</p>

<p>I love these types of threads. I usually post in the no words (a lot), and I have noticed "Ashton Kutcher's" threads in the past and thought, why isn't there an CANON thread. Thanks for starting it and I can't wait to join in and follow it. <br>

I shot this a couple of weeks ago at a community center where elementry school kids were working on some crafts. And out of nowhere an orange showed up and I liked the idea but to me it was more or less a throw away shot. I'll post it here and make an attempt to have a nicer one for the coming Thursday (Thanksgiving).<br>

By the way, shot with EOS Rebel XT with a Sigma 17-35 f2.8.<br>

Tv 1/125, Av 3.2, ISO 800, Exposure -2/3.</p><div>00Xjn7-305207584.jpg.6a9e411cc1319fe2d638d2b797189815.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Mark, I had understood that you were patting my back for the effort. But I did get the feeling that perhaps the photo wasn't upto the standard. I had hesitated myself before posting it in this forum. But I had nothing else to submit! In any case, thanks for the appreciation.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Praveen, the greatest thing about the Canon Thursday thread is there is no standard! You can post anything you like. And as Nathan not quite so eloquently explained, your flower shot was great, made all the more special by the elaborate setup you used.</p>

<p>So please, please, please don't think there's any standard here. (If there was, I wouldn't be able to post). Just pick something you like, and tell us why/what you were thinking when you took the photo. That's what I really enjoy...seeing interesting photos and hearing why the photographer shot them.</p>