for the 10^6 time which camera

<blockquote>

<p>"Buy the cheapest Canon or Nikon DSLR you can possibly find. Spend the rest of the money on good lenses."<br>

This was really good advice before digital when the only role (roll) of the camera body was to hold the lens at the right distance, and keep the film flat. Now, it's just living in the past to say this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Funny. I actually thought it was the other way round. I of course admit that my post was meant provocative, but to me it is not a statement of the past, but of the future.<br>

A few years ago, when one could still buy cameras like the Nikon D50, D40X or D60, the difference with a high end camera was huge, as far as I understand.<br>

However, if I read the reviews right, the low end D3100 has about as good sensor as the former mid end D300, perhaps better. One can of course go much better with the FX bodies today, but then the prices also get prohibitive for many of us.<br>

I think I stick to my provocative statement, at least in a modified form: For many of us, we get much more bang for the bucks if we buy expensive lenses and cheap bodies than the other way round. For those who need really high resolution or extreme low light performance, they need to invest in expensive bodies.<br>

And thinking long term, it is likely that you still have the same lenses you have today in five years' time. It is much less likely that you have the same body, as a low end camera of 2015 is likely to have a sensor that surpasses the sensor of a high end camera in 2010.</p>