Point and Shoot for pro photographer

silverdae

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I've searched the forums, and I can't seem to find another question that addresses what I need. If I've missed something similar, please point me there. Thanks!</p>

<p>I am a pro photographer, and I have been asked to make out a Christmas list. I've wanted a point and shoot for a while, but I don't really know what to look for. Honestly, I have never really looked at any seriously, so I'm going in blind here (isn't is usually the other way around- point-and-shoot to dslr?). When we travel, we always have 2 DSLR's with us, so travel and shooting with a purpose isn't going to be a priority with a Point and shoot. We mainly want one for leisurely activities- boating with friends, goofing off, parties, family get togethers, etc. I have no Christmas or birthday pictures simply because I don't want a DSLR hanging around my neck like I do daily for my job. I miss having snap-shots...</p>

<p>What I want in a point and shoot-</p>

<ul>

<li>either manual mode or a full array of preset modes so I can control how the camera acts (for instance, drag the shutter then pop the flash, or choose a small aperture at the expense of shutter speed and vice-versa). </li>

<li>I don't want it to go "blink-blink-blink" then take the shot (the red eye thing). That gets on my ever loving nerves, even though I know why it does it. I want to be able to turn that off. This is quite important to me.</li>

<li>Small. I don't want to mess with dragging it out. I want to be able to toss it into this bag or that bag. I do not want one of the almost-a-dslr-but-still-a-point-and-shoot cameras. Too bulky. We need small and compact (pocket size or i-phone size). </li>

<li>I would love a raw option, but would settle for high quality jpgs.</li>

<li>I don't need to print big, but I don't like the idea of limiting myself. </li>

<li>Cost is a factor. I'm looking for less than $200 (more likely around $100-150). This point is also called "cake-and-eat-it-too.</li>

<li>I would rather have the options above rather than pay for a wide zoom range. Around the equivalent of 35 - 80 on a full frame DSLR sensor would be sufficient. </li>

</ul>

<p>Any suggestions? Note that I also need to be able to relate this info to non-photographer family members shopping on black friday, so if you have any suggestions on what to tell them or how to relate to them what I want, it would probably help. Thanks!</p>

<p>Jen </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think your desire for a professional p&s are at odds with your desire to spend $100-150</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What would I be giving up from my list when I look at this price point? Again, I'm flying blind here. I've found the online descriptions of cameras geared toward ease of use and great-pictures-minimal-effort. Where am I going to have to compromise?</p>

<p>You might look at a used Nikon D60 body, and whatever small lens you want (it has to be a AF-S type) -- something like the AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX Nikkor. It is not heavy, it produces better images over and beyond that of a Canon G-10, plus you have a "point-and-shoot" camera that lens you see thru-the-lens, not a tiny viewfinder.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've been really kicking this around (price not as much a factor as quality and size), and find my interest leaning toward Panasonic, Casio, and Samsung. My big factor is being able to get a RAW file instead of JPEG. But I put everything on hold until I learn more about the $1k Fuji X100.</p>

<p>Ok, the D60 might be a good suggestion for someone starting out, but I have 4 film slr's and 3 dslr's, along with a big bag o' stuff that goes with me to my high-volume portrait 8-5 job and weekends to weddings. I really really really want small. Forget it is there small. Think "having beer(s) at a cook-out" small. Think "I don't want to worry about if I've had too many of said beers" point and shoot. Think "I'm just the aunt, not the professional photographer brought in to document the birthday party" point and shoot. </p>

<p>Again, where should I expect to compromise on my list of point and shoot requirements?</p>

<p>You are going to give up almost everything. For $150 you can get 10-12MP, a zoom in the range of 28-100 to 200, P only exposure, no RAW, no viewfinder, pocket size, and surprisingly good IQ up to iso 200 or 400 (but not what you get from a DSLR). These are decent cameras intended for casual users. They do a good job for what they are intended to do. Some in the $150 range worth considering are the:</p>

<p>Nikon S4000, Lumix DMC-FH20, Sony DSC-W330, Fuji JZ300, and Canon SD1300.</p>

<p>New models seem to come out hourly, but these seem current. Go to B&H 's website and search digital P&S by price and you'll see what's out there.</p>

<p>Given your price range, you might want something like the Canon SX120IS. It is a little higher than your price range ($190), but it is small and has pretty good user review ratings. The 130IS is $10 more.<br>

Two sets of reviews:<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=canon_sx120is</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX120IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289619957&sr=8-1</p>

<p>Well, your cost is rather limiting. Coming from a DSLR or a small film camera (which I found to be real point-and-shoot cameras) you will not generally like the menus and buttons on these little cameras. I just picked up a Panasonic LX5 .. produces some great images that are quite sharp.. I'm told the panasonic Lx3 is about $300 and produces equally good pics. The LX5 has the fastest lens among point-and-shoot digital cameras and was a primary reason I selected it .. all others have slower glass. Most people won't spend that much for this class of camera though ..but since you specified "professional" that puts your wants into the higher end cameras.</p>

<p>I easily stick the camera in a jacket pocket or carry on a wrist strap. I tried smaller "shirt-pocket" cameras and felt that they were more difficult to point-and-shoot than I desired (too many small buttons and menus to navigate) .. so I upsized in price and size and am happy. None of the point-and-shoot digital cameras are fast to operate; and then there is that annoying shutter lag and poor flash performance, and proprietary batteries, etc. I'm old enough to know what fun a point-and-shoot camera used to be ... and it set a pretty high performance bar .. before digital cameras blew out the demand for point-and-shoot film cams.</p>

<p>The last time I used a point-and-shoot camera .. it was a Yasica T4 film camera .. which I absolutely love (but some people won't becuase it uses 35mm film .. got to say it gave me wonderful photos .. and beat the begeebees over my digital pics in speed of use and quality. I mixed it in with wedding shots from my SLRs/DSLRs and nobody could tell the photos came from a point-and-shoot film camera). So, you do have a lot of options and choices.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Small, Canon Ixus. Good enough for birthday parties and gooffing off. No RAW but you don't need that for gooffing off. It's small fit's in any kind of pocket. Not too expsensive and small. If I did not have a Canon IXUS I would get an Olympus Tough, why, because it's water proof even better for gooffing off. I still need to look after the IXUS if I go to the beach but the Tough I could take into the sea. Yep when my kids break the IXUS (I'll let them play in the snow with it) I will get an Olympus Tough.</p>

<p>Go to your local camera store or a Best Buy and try out all the cameras in your price range. I don't think you will be too impressed with the ones in the $100-150 price range. For what you are looking for, $300 is pretty much rock bottom.</p>

<p>The budget is not compatible with the desired top-tier features. You'd have to give up almost all of them, or go with a used camera.</p>

<p>My advice? Put it off or bite the bullet, push the budget, and go with a Fuji 200 EXR, Panasonic LX5 (or the LX3, which I own and is currently on sale as remaining stocks are pushed out), or the Canon S95.</p>

<p>You might also look into a used Nikon Coolpix 5700 (5 MP) or 5800 (8 MP) "prosumer" camera. I use my 5700 for casual stuff and it produces outstanding images. The lens is an ED Nikkor with an 8x zoom. The only downside to them is they eat batteries, due in large part to the EFV. I have gotten around this by using Nikon's attachable supplementary battery pack, which greatly extends the useful battery life. It uses either AA NiCad's or alkaline.</p>

<p>If you want to extend your optional reach, Nikon makes wide and tele attachments which give you the equivalent of 28-420mm on 35mm/FX format.</p>

<p>You can find both on Fleabay for around what you are budgeting.</p>

<p>I see that B & H has the Canon A3000 on sale for $119. I've got a Canon A720, which I believe is an earlier version, and I love it. It's got manual, AV, TV and a whole host of special shooting modes, a bunch of flash options including rear curtain and can even be focused manually, which virtually eliminates any shutter lag. They say you can't stop action with a point and shoot, but here is a shot with my A720 where I prefocused in manual mode. <a href="http://bstinshoff.aminus3.com/image/2010-10-21.html">http://bstinshoff.aminus3.com/image/2010-10-21.html</a>. The big downside to P & S's in my opinion is that you really have no control over depth of field. Because of their small senors, pretty much everything's going to be in focus whether you shoot at F8 or F2.8.</p>