5DII vs 7D test, part 3

jackm1

<p>Dear Jack,</p>

<p>I like this series. It's educational. (Both are very nice pieces of equipment...)</p>

<p>This last test however seems to suffer more from depth of field differences than that it shows the differences in image quality. Maybe I'm a nitpick but I think a more flat subject might show that the bodies are more the same than they now appear.</p>

<p>Oh well, it's a real life test and in that way it's fair.</p>

<p>All the best and thanks for the series,</p>

<p>Matthijs.</p>

<p>why choose sharpening 5 and 7?</p>

<p>The face photo: 5d II sharper, but the eagle and signature photos: 7D sharper. The reason is that the cameras focus on the face and the 5D beats the 7D there, but F5.6 is wide enough at that distance to make the 5D out of focus (shallow DOF) on the Eagle and Signature, while the 7D still have better focus there. In these two photos, the 5D is clearly out of focus.</p>

<p>Also the lens doesn't perform the same at different focal lengths, and tests in different kinds of lighting will have different results</p>

<p>One weakness of a test like this is that generally zooms don't have the same performance at all focal lengths. They might be close, but it just raises an issue that confounds direct comparisons like this as does the fact that on a crop sensor, you are only using the center of the lens at any of the chosen focal lengths, zooms generally do a bit worse the further you go towards the corners (more so than do primes). The 24-70 is a great lens, but it isn't perfect.</p>

<p>Zooms are horrible for tests. The performance of a lens (sharpness, bokeh, vignette, barrel distortion, etc.) will change throughout the zoom range. Plus, the images should not be sharpened for comparison. Lastly, due to the sensor size difference, the DOF will be completely different even though the same lens is used. A better test is to fix the focal length and move the camera back and forth to get the same frame.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you take a look at the first image, the bokeh from the 5D is much nicer. I've shot with both and the sensor performance of the 5D is much better.</p>