Dropped Nikon 12-24mm AF-S

george_paulides

<p >Had the most unfortunate experience of dropping my Nikon 12-24mm with my Fuji S5 Pro onto a driveway over the weekend - it actually launched itself from my unzipped backpack.<br>

The lens toke the brunt of the impact and shattered the filter. The front lip is distorted and I have no chance of removing the remaining filter since it is bent badly. I have spoken with Nikon and they suggested that it may be repairable. They advised that they can replace the casing but it won't be cheap.<br>

My concern is the shattered filter and if it has marked/damaged the front element of the lens (nothing visible to my eye) - the lens cap was on at the time of the drop so the shattered glass would have bounced between the front element and the lens cap. I have obviously removed the glass but I have not attempted to remove the fine glass particles/chards as yet - I would leave that for the Nikon service centre. The lens focuses on the camera but if I turn the zoom ring it grinds - probadly the glass fragments have made they way into the casing.<br>

Not sure if someone else has had a similiar experience and had their lens repaired? Is it worth doing it - would probadly cost around $500 to repair and I can buy a new lens for under $1000.<br>

How resilient are the front lens to scratching if a filter breaks? If the front element is not scratched and the casing can be repaired then this may be the most cost effective way. Any advice would be appreciated?</p>

<p>Sorry about your accident. If your picture quality is unaffected, you can continue to use the lens as it (without a filter). It may last a long time for you. Or not. You can also get an estimate for the actual repair cost.. Its free and you don't have to repair it if you don't want to. If it helps, you can get the same lens used for under $600 on eBay. Good luck!</p>

<p>This is not a cheap lens, so i would definitely get an estimate for the repair. On another issue, for those who get on here and debate for hours whether to keep a UV or skylight filter on a lens for protection, this is the perfect example of why that's important. In this case the filter took the brunt of the hit. Without it, that would be shards of front element rather than shards of filter you're looking at.</p>

<p>I have mentioned before that back in the 1970's, I had a similar incident when a friend bumped into my elbow when I was changing lenses. The lens with protective filter and lens cap fell onto a concrete sidewalk. The lens cap and filter were both seriously damaged but there wasn't even a scratch on the lens. I had to take the lens to a repair shop so that they could remove the damaged filter.</p>

<p>In my case the broken filter did not scratch the lens at all.</p>

<p>Definitely send the lens to Nikon for a repair estimate. I also have the 12-24mm/f4 AF-S DX, but the new 10-24mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S DX seems to be a slightly better lens. Perhaps since the 10-24 is made in China with its lower labor cost, it is also a little cheaper. If the repair cost is too high, you can always decline repair and buy a new lens.</p>

<p>No conclusive advice from me, just that I sympathize with your experience, since I dropped my 12-24 almost a year ago now. With a D200 attached, on hard pavement. The lens is bend and I still haven't found courage to ask for a repair prognosis.</p>

<p>I have been complaining about DX ever since, saying that I want to go back to a 24x36mm (FX) sensor, with a plain old 24/2.8 attached to it. ..And I am still waiting for that much-spoken-of D700 replacement, for that exact reason.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi George,</p>

<p>Sorry about your unfortunate experience. Similar disasters happen to almost all of us if we pursue photography long enough. Your description of the way the focus ring sounds indicates disassembly of the lens is required. Even if you were able to safely remove the filter, and no other problems were obvious, I would send the lens to Nikon to check its performance against factory specifications on an optical bench. After such an impact there may be element alignment issues. </p>

<p>As C.P.M. has already stated, if you purchased your lens within the past 90 days with a major credit card, it may be automatically insured for accidental damage under your credit card agreement. If this is the case, call your credit card company immediately.</p>

<p>Thanks to all who have responded. It is the worst feeling - I still see the slow motion replay in my mind. The lens is not brand new, I have had it for couple of years so unfortunately the credit card insurance will not cover it. I will take it to Nikon for a quote. The only fortunate thing about this experience is atleast the Fuji S5 Pro was not damaged - it would have been a little hard to replace my fav camera.<br>

Shung, interesting comment about the Nikon 10-24mm - I will have a look at lens reviews. Thanks to all again.</p>

<p>I dropped my Nikon 12-24 on a D300. Camera was OK, but filter threads were messed up good. Nikon repaired it for $179, plus tax and shipping was $207 total.<br>

Replaced: Lens barrel, Filter ring, zooming ring, Roller / Guide Ring<br>

Checked focusing, apeture, zooming, infinity focus, exposure.<br>

General check and clean.<br>

It took awhile awaiting parts. Well worth it, was like new. I had home owners insurance policy covering camera gear, which fully reimbursed it. This repair paid for two years of the insurance on $9500 of gear (recommended).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I dropped my F100 with attached 28-105 AF-D onto a semi-hard surface a few years ago. The filter (RIP) took the brunt of the impact and its shards got into the lens like they did in your case. Nikon was able to take the lens apart and clean it out, and it works fine now as verified by my tests. I'd have them fix it, then do some sharpness tests afterward, looking for misalignment in particular. Good luck!</p>