Will CANON ZOOM LENS EF 75-300MM1:4-5.6 II Work With Rebel EOS XT Digital

nick_mcnellis

<p>I am considering purchasing a Canon Zoom Lens EF-75-300 1:4-5.6 II for a Canon EOS Rebel Digital XT 350D. I have tried to find specs or information that will tell me if this lens from a 35mm Rebel EOS will work with the digital XT. <br>

Thanks in advance for any information.</p>

<p>Nick</p>

<p>Yes, it will fit and work as it should.<br />Canon EF lenses will fit all Canon EOS camera's, whether film or digital.<br>

Canon currently has some EF-S designated lenses, they are designed specifically for small sensor digital camera's. The EF-S lenses will not work on full frame (large sensor) digitals or EOS film cameras. The EF-S lenses mount farther back into the camera's body and will interfere with the Mirror.</p>

<p>I would recommend that you do some research on the EF 75-300 before purchase. A lot of information can be found by doing a search.</p>

<p>Yes, it would work, however I would advise you have a look at the similarly priced and much more useful Canon 55-250mm IS. The later, while it's an EF-S lens (i.e. only works on crop-factor cameras) has the optical stabilization necessary for hand-holding at long focal lengths and is optically just as good, if not even better.</p>

<p>I third that (can you say that...), 55-250 IS is not expensive and it's absurdly better than the old 75-300 II. Current version is III, I think, and even it is pretty weak not to mention handholding a 300mm lens on a crop sensor camera without IS is difficult.</p>

<p>Don't buy the outdated 75-300 II or the current version 75-300 III or even the 75-300 IS. Buy either the EFS 55-250 IS or the much better 70-300 IS. I think you have never thought of buying a $500 lens, but when you see the pictures taken from this lens, you will love Canon more. By the way, you can get a like-new 70-300 IS at Amazon for only $410.</p>

<p>[[not to mention handholding a 300mm lens on a crop sensor camera without IS is difficult.]]</p>

<p>This is an overly-broad statement. Hand-holding @ 300mm on a crop sensor camera is not difficult in good light. When light levels dip then yes, hand-holding will earn your more and more blur in your images. Ones personal stability and shooting technique is a factor that cannot be discounted.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the advise. Budget is a major factor and I am just begining my journey into photography. I won the lens along with a EF 35-80 II lens and EOS XS 35mm (in great shape), with haze filter, strap and bag for $120. It just seemed like a geat deal as I only have a 15-50 mm lens currently with the Rebel XT 350D.<br>

Thanks for your assistance.<br>

</p>

<p><strong>Canon EOS Elementary school fact 101 </strong>-- for over 22 years, since the dawn of EOS, all Canon EF lenses work on all EOS bodies.</p>

<p>And for sure, there are <strong>many </strong>better lenses than the 75-300 II, but it's a good starter, long telephoto for an APS-C sensor like the dReb. If you find you exceed that lens's cheap, entre-level capabilities then perhaps better glass is in order for the future. Don't think of that lens as a sports lens.</p>

<p>The 75-300mm that you're looking at is better than its critics suggest, but its main attraction is its really low price.<br>

I agree that the newer and stabilized 55-250mm is a better buy, unless you can get the 75-300 non-IS lens really cheap on eBay or where ever. I wouldn't buy a new 75-300mm, but would go for the EF-S 55-250 instead.<br>

If low price is the critical variable, you might want to take a look about for the EF 75-300mm <strong>IS</strong> lens. It's optically supposed to be a little better than the non-stabilized versions, and the IS is worth a great deal, even though this was the first lens to have the feature (and so it's an older implementation of it). I have one of these, naturally bought just weeks before its much improved replacement showed up.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Canon EOS Elementary school fact 101 </strong>-- for over 22 years, since the dawn of EOS, all Canon EF lenses work on all EOS bodies.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately no longer true.... The new mk III extenders are only compatible with the EOS 1v and digital bodies. They will not work on other film bodies. </p>

<p>Ah, but the telextenders are not so much EF lenses as "EF Extenders". Moreover, they work with a rather limited number of lenses, to wit:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This lens is only compatible with fixed focal length L-series lenses 135mm and over, as well as the EF 70-200/2.8L, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, EF 70-200/4L, and EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L.</p>

<p>from the Canon USA web site</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I didn't see the limitations on film bodies mentioned, but no doubt they don't understand or imagine that these are still in use? ;)</p>

<p>Interestingly, these specs for the mark iii extenders does not mention the new EF 70-300mm L lens?</p>