DSLR vs P/S Cameras

bobcossar

<p>Perhaps I am missing something here, but I would definitely have guessed that the picture on the right was the DSLR. Is it not sharper even at this resolution?<br>

What really surprised me at first was the shallow depth of field of the point and shoot, but the fuzzy background seems to be a milky window, which (unfortunately) is in focus for both cameras. With the DSLR you could have used a lens with a real shallow depth of field, but you probably could not on the point and shoot.<br>

I do not want to debunk the usefulness of point and shoot cameras. There are situations where they are excellent - occasionally even surpassing the DSLR. For example, they may happen to get the right settings automatically in a particular situation, where I just fail to find the right mix on my DSLR. Besides, the HDR feature of the iPhone 4 has helped me a few times, where my DSLR did not manage to capture the full range.<br>

I carry a Canon S90 with me, almost always, in my trouser pocket. I occasionally drag around a Nikon D5000. I take much more pictures with the D5000, as there are more situations where I know I can get a good shot.</p>

<p>P/S cameras still certainly have their place. In addition to my film cameras and D700, I still ocassionally take out my CoolPix 5700 with me. The lens is very sharp and the zoom range more than adequately wide enough and although it is only a 5 MP camera, it still produces some really excellent images. I do have both the wide angle and telephoto attachments, so they give me essentially 28mm to 420mm capability (using 35mm of FX as a reference).</p><div>00Xf4E-300851584.jpg.e0737563290459c3ccd0f5a57d0df4ec.jpg</div>