Hasselblad 120 CB Makro vs CF vs CFi

d_g

<p>i've read many things about CB lens... and test some !<br>

the 60 is similar to the Cfi<br>

i've compare a 80 Cfe and a CB... the problem of the CN being contrast in the angles of the 6x6... i've found it to be better than the Cfe with my digital back (36x48mm)<br>

i've test a 160, and wasn't really impress... it was ok at F11, otherwise not a nice rendering</p>

<p>Now, i'm in the process to buy a 120 macro for artwork reproduction (3D) and macro </p>

<p>is the 120 CB similar to the Cfi ? i can't find any data for that lens !<br>

I've read that the Cfi is less prone to flare than the CF... so i skip the CF... but Cfi still quite expensive.<br>

I've seen a 120 CB for 800$, but i need to make shure that is as good as the CFi....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hasselblad cloaked the CB version in mystery and secrecy. They would (just about) acknowledge that they had put this lens on the market (though it was available only in one or a few places in the world), but not much else. No lens data heet. Nothing.<br>

It was the same optical design as all the other 120 mm Makro Planars, which perhaps was the reason why they would not say much about it. Part of the very ill conceived CB marketing ploy: why would anyone want to spend money on the more expensive version if they could get the same lens in a cheaper CB version?</p>

<p>Don't rule out the CF version. The difference between CF and CFi/CFE in stray light suppression is minimal, if present at all.</p>

<p>As mentioned above, as far as i know, there is no information about the 120 mm CB lens.<br>

It was mentioned in a catalogue. And that's it.</p>

<p>I can tell you what lenses changed during those transitions:<br>

The 80 mm Planar CB lens was a new design. So was the 160 mm Tessar CB lens.<br>

The earlier C and CF, and later CFi/CFE 80 mm lenses were all of the same design (bar a few very early C lenses).<br>

Both the CB 80 mm and the CB 160 mm lenses disappeared when the CB line went away.</p>

<p>The CB 60 mm Distagon was the same design as the earlier C and CF lenses, and the later CFi lens.<br>

And as mentioned above, the CB 120 mm lens was the same as the earlier C and CF versions, and as the later CFi and CFE versions.</p>

<p>Q.G., When you say the 80mm CB design changed, do you mean optically, as well? If so, did the CF/i get improvements too, and is it better than the old C's? I'm trying to figure out what lenses I should upgrade to. I know parts for the older C's are getting scarce, and if some lenses, like an 80mm are improved, I would move them to the top of my list. Thanks!</p>

<p>Michael,</p>

<p>Yes, i was talking about the optical design. The 80 mm CB lens was a return to a 6 element design. The number of elements in itself says nothing about quality, but the CB(udget) line was meant to be cheap(er), and something had to give (also to make the two tier maketing strategy to work), and it's performance is a bit less compared to the 7 element 80 mm Planars.</p>

<p>The CB mount has all the improvements that later turned the CF line into the CFi line.</p>

<p>The very earliest (according to Richard Nordin's excellent book, produced until about 1960, highest serial numbers in the 266xxxx range) C 80 mm Planar lenses also had a 6 element design, but not the same one as seen in the CB's design.</p>

<p>All (!) other Zeiss 80 mm Planars ever available for Hasselblad are the same, 7 element design. Whether C, CF or CFi/CFE.<br>

So if you are upgrading from a post 1961 Planar to whatever later, non-CB version you will not get a different lens. Only a different mount.<br>

(Though as you know the early lenses - pre 1971-ish - had a simpler "T" antireflection coating. All the later have a "T*" multicoating.)</p>

<p>Considering the 80CB, i've bought one after conducting a comparison with a 80 Cfe from a friend of mine !<br>

The 80 CB is as good if not better in the center, but performance decrease in the abgles of a 6X6...<br>

because iv'e intend to use it with a digital back (36x48), i've bought it on the spot!<br>

The 60 CB is similar to the Cfi without the F position and the nivarox stuff... nothing to worry about with a V...<br>

The 160 is harsch, the bokeh isn't nice, but at F11 is really sharp, and less weight than a 180.</p>