580EX II Green Pilot Light Only

morgan_bellinger

<p>I have a puzzling problem with my 580EX II.<br>

I put in my new, freshly charged PowerGenix NiZn batteries the other day, mid-wedding. Fired off a few full power bounce shots (around 5 or 6) and now I have a flash that's not working right.<br>

I put in freshly charged NiMh batteries (tested in my other 580EX II) and power on the flash. I get a green pilot light after a couple of seconds in ETTL mode, and am able to fire the flash a couple of times using the pilot button. Then it takes around 8 or 9 seconds to recharge.<br>

If I put it in M mode, I get a green pilot light only if I turn the power down to 1/4 or below. The second I turn it to 1/4 + 0.3, I lose the green pilot light. I can fire the flash at 1/4, and it looks like 1/4 power, but it takes longer than normal to recycle.<br>

I have tested it with multiple sets of batteries and always get the same result.<br>

Any suggestions? I'm considering sending it in to CPS. Should I take it apart myself to look for broken components? Should I bother with CPS? Too expensive? Or should I just ship it to them and let them diagnose it, then get it fixed elsewhere?<br>

The flash is out of warranty.<br>

Thank you so much for your help. It's been very difficult to find help with such a specific problem.</p>

<p>I agree with Harry--those Power Genix batteries have a reputation for frying flashes. In any case, if it isn't working right, don't delay. Send it to Canon. The standard flash overhaul is $120 plus shipping. The price is too small to spend any more time worrying and wondering.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Good news is, once you send it in to Canon you won't have the fried flash problem anymore. Similar thing happened to me, sent it in under warranty and haven't had the problem since. My guess is that Canon knows something isn't right in their setup and isn't fessing up.</p>

<p>And don't try those NiZn batteries in anything other than a canon flash, they popped my brand new LP-160 as well. After reading in the candle power forums about the number of problems that NiZn's have and how easy it is to fry the actual battery itself, and after finding that five sets of four no longer hold a charge, I've decided to ditch them and move over to Powerex and Eneloop. Until Powergenix comes up with a way for the consumer to test and recondition batteries, I'll be with sanyo and maha.</p>