100mm f2.8 nFD Aperture innoperative

gnashings

<p>Hi,<br>

Just a quick question regarding my 100mm f2.8 (nFD). The lens has stopped responding to the aperture ring. It is stuck wide open, and while the aperture ring moves, it has a distinctively "grinding" feel when I move it... not the regular smooth "click click click"... I can not get it to respond either on camera (tried several different bodies) or via the levers on the mount.<br>

My question is, is there any simple way to look inside, or perhaps a typical issue that affects these lenses that may be fairly easily fixed at home? I am afraid that having the lens fixed professionally is cost prohibitive, and if there is no easy fix I think I will just have to look for a replacement, as it will most likely be cheaper than having this one looked at by a professional...<br>

Thanks for any suggestions, hints or advice,<br>

Peter.</p>

<p>Hi Peter:<br>

Unless you are experienced with lens disassembly, I would say it is not an easy home repair. But then, I'm all thumbs. In any case, if your lens is in otherwise clean condition, I would opt to have it repaired since then you <em>know</em> it's in top working form and will last a long time. Buying another used lens, even if was the price was reasonable, is walking again in the unknown. If your lens is a beater, maybe it's worth trying your hand at home repair if only for the experience. If your efforts go south, no great loss.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Louis, Kayam - thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I will be sure to check out the thread about the 80-200... I had one of those, what a beautiful lens, and that's a lot coming from a prime loving luddite like me :) Unfortunately, it was stolen, along with the EF it was attached to... oh well...<br>

The 100mm in my possession is optically clean, but it is a beater otherwise... I wonder if I may not try my hand at it - I think I need an excuse for a longer portrait lens anyhow lol :) <br>

Thanks again, and Louis thank you for the kind words - I will try when I get some new scans:)</p>