I Don't Have a Leica - waaaahhh!

markdeneen

<blockquote>

<p>If you plan to use a 28mm though, the M4 or M6 would be preferable.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Roger,</p>

<p>The 28mm/75mm frame lines do not appear in the Leica M4, but do in the later M4-P. With the M4 bodies, the progression is M4 and M4-2, 35mm to 135mm frame lines. M4-P, 28mm to 135mm.</p>

<p>Later M4-P production bodies have zinc top covers which are a less desirable material than the earlier brass top plates, in my opinion. M4-P bodies with slightly inset main rangfinder windows have brass tops. Those with rangefinder windows flush with the front camera surface are zinc.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I suggest forgetting about any very minute differences between the M models (all Leicas are a <em>class apart</em> from most cameras in the mechanical quality department) and go for the one that gives you your wide angle capability, The M4-P is the only non meter Leica with the 28mm frameline as well as the moderaste wide angle 35mm frameline (its RF-VF assembly has at least 104 parts, which is similar if not higher - due to the extra framelines - to the M4 or other non meter M cameras). Yes, a Leica M3 has a very smooth shutter release, but in actual picture taking situations you will not find any great difference with the last non meter Leica, the M4-P.</p>

<p>If wide angle viewing is very important and you can accept a meter you might want to think of a metered Leica like the M6 or MP, either with with the optional 0,58 mag VF. It is less accurate on RF use than the usual 0,72 mag finder (lesser effective RF baseline dimension) but good enough for most fast wide angle lenses. Both are more or much more expensive options than the M4-P. For 35mm lens use only, and without the cumbersome goggles and older less modern lenses, you have more choice of non meter Leica bodies (M2, M4, M4-2, M4-P; the M1 and M3 are not applicable for modern 35mm lenses without the issue of an additional finder, and RF in the case of the M1).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Leica III was also called the F. The IIIf wasn't around when Eugene Smith and Cartier-Bresson won their respective fames. If flash is not needed, the IIIc is a better option as it costs less. Neither has a "big bright finder", of course, which is why most people here have been speaking of the M models.</p>

<p>Update: These expert comments have been a wealth of valuable information. Seriously, this has sorted out a million questions for me on Leica. I thank all you experts for taking the time to sort out the fine points. I am saving up a bit to get a nice example of what I finally choose. Much will depend on whether or not I will just do the 35mm lens, or if I will go down to the 28mm too. I have other RFs so I have a lot of range right now. I think it will depend on what kind of Leica lens I can best afford to mount. I want my "Leica rig" to be really top-top notch - not just an average example, so the glass is really what I have to solve. That can really cost some dough! I'm probably looking at two months before I have enough saved for this, as it gets more expensive the more I learn! Thanks again.</p>