60D vs. 7D

michaelfranz

<p>I am getting ready to buy a new body. I currently own a Rebel Xti so either of these two will be a giant updrade.<br>

Are there any thoughts which is better? I like the 60D because of the Vari-Angle screen but I also like the 7D for the dust and weather resistance factor.<br>

Any thoughts from my fellow geniuses?</p>

<p>They're both nice cameras with equal IQ so it comes down to interface, features and build. If you shoot video the external push button start of the 7D is faster and more intuitive than the command dial twist of the 60D. Action types will prefer the better AF and higher frame rate of the 7D. Anal retentive types will favor the micro adjust feature of the 7D. </p>

<p>The feature that I love the most about the 7D is spot focus: perfect for macro or snagging focus where larger AF points fail (or focus on the wrong thing). For macro and small products I basically get 100% hit rates whereas my 50D would miss 15 or 20% of the time (AF point was huge & locked on the most contrasty part, e.g., eyebrow instead of eyeball).</p>

<p>http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos7d.htm</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>just decide which features suit your style better. If you like to shoot video, either will be great, but the screen of the 60D may provide a little easier use for high and low shots. If you shoot wildlife or sports the AF and frame rate of the 7D would give you an advantage. Just think about what you shoot most and which camera's features will help you more. As far as image quality, they're both 18MP APS-C so it will be nearly identical.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I currently own a Rebel Xti so either of these two will be a giant updrade.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Certainly a giant upgrade in the number of features, I am guessing from my own experience most of which won't be used. On the other hand, sometimes only one or two of the added features can be really useful.<br>

Likely little upgrade in terms of IQ.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>I've also just upgraded, though from a XT, and had the same thoughts about a 60D or a 7D. I was at the shop last week, and felt the difference between the two. That and the better AF, better weather profing was the major factors in my purchase of a 7D. The only 'problem' I have had is, that it's much bigger then my XT, so it barely fits in my bad... Good thing it's christmast time soon :)</p>

I too have an XTi which I plan to replace with a 7D to complement my FF. I had a play with the 7D earlier this year in a shop and it is a great camera. As others have said, write down your priorities and see which one fits your needs better. And if possible, try them both out in a store, or rent them for a few days to do a hands-on comparison.

<p>Not a genius by any stretch, but I just made the same decision, and the 7D won. About the only things I found enticing about the 60D were the articulating screen, and the price. Not that it is a bad camera, not at all, but the 7D offers quite a bit more. For one, the viewfinder. There is a lot said about it being "100%", but I find that the extra information it presents to you is a tremendous help. The viewfinder changes when you change the metering or focusing parameters. So if you want to focus using only the top center focusing spots, you'll see that confirmed in the viewfinder.</p>

<p>If you have a large number of SD cards, though, that may influence your decision. The 60D uses SD cards, while the 7D uses CF cards.</p>

<p>Shop around, though. I was able to get my 7D with 18-135 EF-S "kit" lens from a photo retailer for about what other places (including the online ones) had been charging for just the body. At that point, it was only a few hundred dollars more than the 60D with the kit lens.</p>

<p>Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!</p>

<p>There are feature lists for each camera online, and at least one site (dpreview) has a page with a side-by-side comparison of major features. Review those and see which differences are important <em>to you</em>, because only you can know what features would and wouldn't be useful to you. For instance, if you find the lack of dust- and water-resistance of your current camera is not a problem, then the dust- and water-resistance of the 7D is not a feature that's worth extra money to you, even though for some people it may be a huge benefit.</p>

<p>The other thing you should do is to get your hands on both bodies. There are size and weight differences between them, and you may find that one of them is more comfortable than the other. Once again, this is a judgment call only you can make. This may play a role in your decision if, for instance, you find that the 7D is so much heavier that you'd just leave it at home some of the time rather than having to deal with lugging it around. (For me, this isn't an issue, but I know people who used to think my 20D with a consumer-grade zoom and consumer-grade flash was heavy, and they would certainly find the 7D even less appealing.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if, for instance, you find that the 7D is so much heavier that you'd just leave it at home some of the time rather than having to deal with lugging it around.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is the only reason I haven't dived in and bought one - I probably would but there are times I think about taking my 30D on the chance of seeing something and end up leaving it at home because of the size. On the other hand, maybe I need a smaller bag so I don't take as much other kit :o).</p>

<p>What do you eat for breakfast puppy? I am 100 kgs (that's 220 pounds for you americans) and with a build that is kind of a cross between The Rock and Newman from Seinfeld. Personally I find the 5D and 24-105, plus 17-40 more weight than I would like to carry all day. And the 7D is heavier still.<br>

Having grown up with a Pentax MX and a few small primes, I keep wondering why in the digital age Canon makes everything so darn big and heavy. I thought the Japanese were supposed to be good at making things small.<br>

And if Canon is listening, I'd be happy with something the build and weight of an Elan 7N.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if, for instance, you find that the 7D is so much heavier that you'd just leave it at home some of the time rather than having to deal with lugging it around.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's ridiculous. If you're worried about weight, get an Elph. Sure the 60D is smaller and lighter and I'm sure there are times its quite convenient, but leaving a camera at home all together because of its minimal weight difference, come on. I'm sure the extra features of the camera "outweigh" the weight difference, literally.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That's ridiculous. If you're worried about weight, get an Elph. Sure the 60D is smaller and lighter and I'm sure there are times its quite convenient, but leaving a camera at home all together because of its minimal weight difference, come on. I'm sure the extra features of the camera "outweigh" the weight difference, literally.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So those professionals who take out their Panasonic G2 on days they cannot be bothered to lug around their 'full fat' SLR should not be in the business? :)</p>

• 3 months later...